1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mealy bugs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tamadrummer, May 25, 2008.

1. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

I am having a problem with Mealy bugs in all of my customers viburnums after I trim them. Each account that I have picked up has had over grown shrubs and needed heavy shearing and it seems that this opens the plants up to instant infestation.

Is this common with viburnum? Should I shear them again or do like I have done and just selectively prune until the PCO can treat the infestation? It really worries me that I will do more harm than good if I go shearing again.

Could it be the Fluid Film I use calling the bugs in? I use it religiously, I just don't hear other LCO's talking about pests in their customers ornamentals.

Any advice as to how to proceed would be truly helpful. These bugs are driving me crazy!!
  2. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

Which variety are you seeing them on? Suspensum, odoratissimum, awabuki, etc.
    I haven't seen mealybugs in our area (central florida) being a problem on any of the above varieties of viburnum.
    Maybe Ric has some experience with mealybugs on viburnum and could chime in.
    I would think cutting them back would remove alot of the problems. As well as increasing airflow that assists in keeping the population suppressed some.
    If they are a problem I think an application of Imidipro or equivalent would take care of the problem.
  3. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I can't give you a direct answer to your question but a possible scenario is that heavy shearing creates a flush of tender growth that pests, especially aphids, like to feed on. Another situation that's very common is that mealy bugs, scales, etc, thrive inside a dense plant or on the lower leaves closer to the ground or the backside closest to a wall where it's warmer. When you trim off the clean new growth you're exposing what's already infested.
  4. tamadrummer

Viburnum Suspensum. I guess this is the most common around this part anyway, they are used in hedge rows everywhere.

I cannot spray anything on the shrubs, I am not licensed to do so. I will be calling the PCO who I am friends with to ask him to hit them with something.

I believe it is too hot to use hort oil at this point, even at 1/2 strength?

Thanks for the help so far.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Google Pink Hibiscus Mealy Bugs. First site to pop up should be Ifas or

Now left clink Insecticidal control.

Now I am not going to claim to know more than IFas, But like all resources you must use a little common sense and not trust everything you read on the Internet. Safari is expensive but will control them. Ifas is becoming more and more a Mean GREEN Machine. Look for local Fertilizer laws in you area if the proposed State Fertilizer law doesn't pass this next session. It was tabled in the last session because of a late introduction. As written the proposed Fertilizer Law is very good and fair to both sides. Some of the county ordinances are totally off the wall and like prohibition will never be enforceable Just hope the Mean Green Machine doesn't kill the state deal the way they always do falling on their sword.

BTW Sorry I don't have the link to a pdf file of the Proposed State wide Fertilizer Law. I have a pdf file that was e mailed to me.
  6. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Just when I was starting to depend on them as a resource. Now IFAS is just like UH, mandating what is politically correct, instead of what will be effective.
  7. tamadrummer

Thank you for the link/tip but my bugs are not pink as far as I have been able to tell.

One customer has treated them himself with sevin and it actually did stop them as far as I can tell because the shrub is not showing signs of damage any longer and no more sooty mold plus I simply do not see the bugs.

The pink hibiscus mealy bug is scary after reading that, kind of like the red palm mite that just found its way here in November. No known way to kill it or even treat it other than I would assume soaps/oils?

I would be greatful if you would email me the pdf for the fert proposal that you are seeing on the horizon. bnbawns@gmail.com

If not thanks anyway and thanks very much for the help. You guys don't owe me anything and have helped a ton!
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the Green Peace Master Plan. However we are now having a conflict over the New Proposed Wind Electric Generating Power Plant. Seems there are two Gopher Turtles nesting on the 300 acre site that have ruled out the building of that project. The Proposed Hydro-Electric Dam would have flood Scrub Jay habitat, so a Tidal Generators was the next choice until it was found to of endangered the Fiddler Crab.
  9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

try a lil Lemon dawn soap and water! works most of the tme.

Aphids and mealy bugs here are immune to this now
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Pink Hisbicus Mealy bugs are pink at birth but turn White very quickly there after. If your customer used Sevin and got rid of them, then maybe they weren't Pink Hisbicus Mealy Bugs.

Red Palm Mites can be a problem but a couple of treatment with a Real Miticide should control them.

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<bnbawns@gmail.com>: does not like recipient.
    Remote host said: 550-5.1.1 This Gmail user does not exist. Please try

I will try and post it to LS.