Mean Competition

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EastProLawn, May 15, 2004.

1. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you ever run into another LCO and they were just plain azzholes to you. Most of the guys here in Providence that I run into are great, we all get along, but there are these few and far in between that I run into every so often and they are just miserable. I've had one small altercation with one guy, he got laid out flat ( he came at me, no warning, so I hit him hard ) he was pissed off because I was now servicing one of the accounts he had lost, I did not underbid him, I was called by the customer and asked for a quote, I gave them the quote which was higher then the last guy and they said fine end of story. I tried to explain that to him, but he just did'nt want to listen and came at me. I was worried for awhile that he was going to press charges, but he knew he was'nt going to get far, so he thought otherwise. Anything like this ever happen to you guys?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

It has never escaladed to that point with me but I have been threatend and confronted for the same reason. I do not understand how another business owner can act this unprofessional over loosing an account to another company. If they are to be mad at anyone it should be the home owner...not the new LCO. In most cases I am also charging more $$ then they were but thats something they dont want to hear. If you "stole" an account from them you automatically loballed it away from them. There is plenty of work to go around......part of business is loosing and gaining new clients.

3. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have been threatend several times. But as soon as the other LCO steps up I have six to eight 200# guys ready to kick some AZZ

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like a small town problem.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

They don't even wave back to me, when I wave. Only one local=tiedeman does

6. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Tells you who the real people are versus the people that can't run a business without realizing that competition exists in EVERY business.
    Losing a customer is an experience to learn from,not act idiotic about.........................

7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same problem. Most LCO guys and I get along great. Although there are 2 that are terrible. One guy - sole - monsterous mower on residential yards. Every year I gain a few b/c a 6 ft deck is just to big, much less he needs an acre to turn around in. Then he gets all mad at me for taking work when the client is the one who called me to take care of it. The ohter guy - he hit us hard a few years ago and I talked to him saying that hey - you at least have to be in the ballpark with your pricing. He was going to run the whole town with that craftmens. Well, it is starting to bite him back. We are gaining some of his "better" clients due to the fact that he takes so long to mow, wonders around talking to everyone and does an ok job but he has upped to a 525 JD with a bagger. He used to be real friendly, wave all the time, not now.

8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

There will be a couple that think there to good to wave at you but thats why god gave us 5 fingers you know what one to use.

first prank
    1. Let some air out of one of the drive tiers then j him off about the crucid lines make shire he has a pump.
    2. When he is in the back yard take the spool out of his trimmer.

All work and no play is totally missing the point

9. Stephen M.

Stephen M. LawnSite Member

That has never happened to me or any of the guys I know. Most of the professionals in my area understand how customers think and we don't take it too personally.

None of the pros here try to steal accounts from each other. I guess its the unspoken "rule" of treating each other with respect. The only people who try to steal accounts are the "former employees" who can't get their own accounts in the honest way us pros get ours: advertising and reputation.

A guy who lives next to a customer of mine called to ask how much I would charge him to cut his lawn. When I replied $x/hour, he exploded with "why do you guys raise your prices at the same time?" His lco knew I was charging more than he was and getting travel time added in, so he decided that if I could get $x, so could he. The next door neighbor I guess stay with my friend, but I told my competitor friend about the incident and he said, "the guy is pain in the butt, you can have him". I declined the offer. I really don't want his pain in the butt customer even though the guy is next door to my customer.

Some years its the customer shuffle and us pros will tell the other who is a pain in the butt, but then say the gig might work out for them. Good luck.

10. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not proud of how it ended, but I did what I had to do. I just think it's foolish not to talk and be friendly with other LCO's, we all lose out. Lawnman Scott, I don't think of Providence as small town and there are tons of LCO's in this area, so it's not like it's 2 companies involved here, this guy is just a plain azzhole.