Measure distance of lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BobCat#1, Jul 29, 2006.

1. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,just wondering.I want to measure my yard so i'll know exactley how much land i have and how much fertilizer i will have to buy.I wanted to know your thouhts on how i can measure it.I thought about getting one of those,i call it a rolling measure,you know the kind with the wheel on it and you walk off the distance.If i use one of these would i just walk around my yard and get that distance,and then walk side to side and get that distance,then add it together?LMK Thanks alot.

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

You answered your own question. Use a measuring wheel...or you can take your ruler and go end over end with it for 3 days. LOL

3. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

You could purchase a measure wheel. However, I would simply walk it and count steps. In other words, do this:
    Walking like you normally do, measure the distance you walk after say 5 steps (measure from first heel to last toe). Now walk your property on one direction. As an exanple, lets say that 5 steps measures 12 feet and your property is 100 steps wide. Divide 100 by 5 and multiply the result by 12.

Do the same for the depth of your yard. To get square feet, multiply length by width.

Of course, you will also need to measure your house, driveway, other buildings, etc. and subtract their square ft from your total square ft.

Using the walking method while not 100% accurate, will be pretty close.

An acre is 43, 560 sq. ft.

4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

This is ridiculous! Sorry, but it is.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Go with a measuring wheel, harbour freight has them at times for 20-25 bux. You have the right idea with the width and length but instead of adding them you need to multiply them to get sq feet

wayne

6. BobCat#1

BobCat#1 LawnSite Member

for the help.I think i'll get a measure wheel.

7. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't you ever seen or heard ol' timers doing this? While I'm not an ol' timer I do know of 2 that can measure this way within about 10%. Since the original poster is a homeowner, he really only needs a good ballpark fiqure. So what if he is slightly off?

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The wheel is just something that you will have to store somewhere.....just walk it off. About 3 ft per step or measure you stride. YOu will be close enough most people won't weigh out the fertilize even if they now the exact square footage. They get a bag and put it on.

9. EMWEB

EMWEB LawnSite Member

Why not check your deed / property sale info . . . It will tel you exactly how large your yard / lot / acreage is . . .

10. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

the stpping off is alot more accuate than you think. i have a wheel i use but before i got one i stepped off everything. when i step i step a little longer than normal and multaply by 3. i can get with in 5% this way which is as close you need for fert

and always listen to old timers, they have already been here and done that. and far more experanced than most of us