Measurement lawn pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfcat75, Jan 15, 2001.

1. turfcat75

turfcat75 LawnSite Member

Residential lawns-
    I see you measure and acre and times that buy a certain number,BUT
    I live in a small city where the lawns dont even come close to an acre,how would you go about pricing,should i go by the square foot or just eyeball it?
    If the best way to price was to measure where do you get one of those tape measure on a wheel that you walk with..?
    Also where you from and how much do you charge per square foot?
    Mike

2. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I have kicked around formulas for doing this but when compared to the small and mid-sized lawns don't always add up.I always eyeball mid sized properties for a time they might take and usually come out ok. The more obsticles higher the rate. Small lawns always fall under a min. price . Make sure you have a minimum.

3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I use a measuring wheel that I got at a local farm center for under $50. They are well worth the money for this business. I do not always use it, since it is sometimes too easy to approximat on the smaller yards after doing them for so many years.

I agree with Twotoros about the eyeballing. But a simple rule of thumb I start with as I approach a property is $15.00 a 1/4 acre with a 1/4 acre as the minimum. Then build on that price by the survey of the property by degree of difficulties.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Shookum, $15 seems pretty light as a minimum. 1/4 acre is about 11,000 sq.ft. Most guys on the forum have a $20-$35 minimum. I have a town house about 2,000 sq.ft. that I charge my minimum of $22.

5. JVS

JVS LawnSite Member

WOW...I guess it all depends on what the market will dictate.
    We have a minium "stop charge" of $30 and go up from there.

Joe

6. jay

jay LawnSite Member

Figure out how long it takes you to do a certain amount of feet then multiply that as needed by the different size of lots. As you do more and more jobs and bid more and more accounts youll be able to just eyeball most of them out with out any type of measurement. Don't forget to figure in your overhead and everything else involved with taking care of your accounts. You need to figure out your hourly rate then multiply it by the amount of time it will take for that paticular job.

7. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Guys,

I guess that $15 does look low as a minimum. But, that is my starting point as I begin to figure up a price. Your all's minimum may incorporate drive time, stoping, unloading, loading, on to next stop, fuel costs, etc? Mine does not.

The $15 per 1/4 acre is based on $60 per hour or simply put $1.00 per minute. It is more of a time estimate using my minimum as $60 per hour. I know that I should be able to mow and trim 1/4 acre in 15 minutes even though I do some in 10. I would say my actual ending price is more like $25 - $30 per 1/4 acre for a straight normal cut, trim and blow.

I have 8 small yards at less than 500 sq ft each that I charge 12.50 each. From the time I park till the time I leave, mow trim and blow, it takes me one hour exact. That is 7.5 minutes per yard for a total of $100 per hour. If I had a $20 or $30 dollar minimum, then I would never get these yards. They are not going to pay that.

Does this make more sense? Maybe not? I need to think about this more and post how I actually get a price setup!

8. turfcat75

turfcat75 LawnSite Member

I live in upstate ny a city of 50,000
    are lawns are very small,i wish i could get a list of accounts other lanscaping buisnesses have and see what they are charging,i try and ask other guys but they dont seem very nice about telling you,they want all the work themselves,they rather me work for them

9. jay

jay LawnSite Member

Turfcat,
    What type of equipment do you use, you need to figure up your overhead first to find out how much its costing you per hour, then figure out how much you want to make a hour and add them together for your hourly rate. S.B.A. gives out some good brochures on how to figure this out you might want to contact them so they can help you with the accounting part of your buisness. I'm not from N.Y. so I don't know the average hourly rate thier, but you might want to look up some guys here that are from that area and maybe thay can help you out further.

[Edited by jay on 01-16-2001 at 06:09 PM]

10. ppeery82

ppeery82 LawnSite Member

I am currently charging .002 per square foot. Then usually round it up to the next $5. Seems to be working fine.