Measurement Wheel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr Budget, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

Well i bought a new toy today to help me find the total square feet of property, I understand how to use this tool, and how to perform the math to come up with the square footage. now once i have the number of sq. feet how do most of you come up with a price to charge per sq foot? I have always used my best judgment on giving estimates, and it has not failed me yet. on mowing anyways!!! a few complete disasters on clean ups.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Never ever charge by the square foot for simple mowing. Estimate how long you think it will take you and go from there. You could have a 1/2 acre of mowing to do and more trimming involved than there is mowing time-wise.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Stick with judgement on mowing. There isn't any sq ft rule that really works. You can have the same size jobs that can be completely different. ie: both 5000 sq ft, first is wide open with no trees ect, second may be a large back yard with a 28 inch gate and 60 trees. Figure your time on these jobs. Clean ups should be charged by the man hour.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with Rod and Metro, its a good tool to figure out the size of the property, but obstacles and the lay of the land can make the job alot longer.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

If its based on experience, why would you want to use a measuring wheel and find square footage? Is it used just as a starting point, like saying, ok i have x square feet the figure in all obstacles and such?

6. rodfather

Btw, if the prop is owned by parents with 2 or more young kids, adjust your pricing (cause of toys and/or swingsets) accordingly.

7. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

I always thought that was how all LCO charged was by the sq. foot thats why they measure all of the property. whats the reason for measuring then. well at least i have been doing something right by using my best judgment

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Also it a good way to spot obstacles on the property, and if you are in to fertlizing or spraying you will have the size of the property also

9. rodfather

for fertilizing, aerating, and reseeding yes