1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Turtle II, Aug 30, 2002.

1. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a hint

Every time you service a property, record each property's time for each task you do such as mowing, trimming/edging, and blowing. Make sure you know how many square feet you mowed, how many linear ft you trimmed, and blew. With this data, you can then calculate, with minimal error, how long it takes you to mow any given square feet of lawn, with so many ft of trimming and blowing. That way, you will have very precise estimate, then you can take the estimated time, and multiply that by your hourly rate to have your estimate. It ought to be very close to the actual time. To get even closer, you may want to group your timed properties into categories such as small low landscapes; large low landscapes; small high landscapes; large high landscapes. Just how i do it, works well for me, hope it helps you.

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

A true acre is aprox. 209 x 209 and that is FEET, not yards.
  3. ctlsmn

ctlsmn LawnSite Member

:dizzy: An acre 43560 square FEET. A lot that is 250 feet by 175 feet is just a little over an acre. To get the area of a lot it is lenght times width. Hopefully this will answer your question.
  4. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

A little something I learned fast....If a customer calls and says he wants aerating done on his 1/4 acre lot you better go measure before you quote. I had a fella say he had .36 acre lot. I got there and measured and it was .9 acre. I told him the measurement and quoted a price and he asked if that was with the storage building subtracted? I said yes I took your 10X10 building (100sqft) out and that was the number I had.

He rented an aerater. I now do his lawn every year.....Too much for him to handle!!:)
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah! And how much does it weigh?:rolleyes:
  6. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

In my area the subdivsion and the developers will call a 100 x 200 ft lot, a half acre. A 200 x 200 an acre lot. I know that a true acre is 43560 sq ft.

But, when most of the sud's are getting 20,000.00 for a 1/4 acre lot. What is a couple of 100 square feet.