Measuring a yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dingo, Feb 15, 2000.

1. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

GrazHopa and Darryl - Thanks for the info. I used the graph paper method and came up with about 12,900. That was subtracting pool, concrete and house. I found this website that has a calculator, but I wasn't sure what meaurements to use for X1, Y1 etc... http://www.measurearea.com/calcs.html Their measuring tool seems nice also. I wonder how much it is.

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Glad to help. When I measure a lot, I try to break it up into pieces that are easy to calculate while I'm there. Makes it a lot easier IMO.

3. The best method I found to measure is to actually walk the perimiter of the lawn. It's even better if you can get the customer to walk with you to point out obstacles. Plus it reminds them just how large the lawn really is.
    Once I quit estimating a lawn from the front doorstep, my mistakes stopped.
    I use a wheel sometimes, but it can give a false reading because it's only good on perfect rectangles, and no lawns are perfect rectangles.
    This year I bought an GPS area calculator that calculates irregular areas down to the 1/100 of a square foot.
    I was going to pay for it once I got the prices raised on the lawns I'd under estimated.
    So I measured every lawn, and figuring in the degree of difficulty, I didn't raise anyone's price a nickle.
    I think bdemir is going to find out like I did, you're smarter than you give yourself credit for.
    Dave

4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

What brand GPS area calculator did you buy?

5. It's a Garmin etrex Vista

6. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

who remembers this thread :p
    haha i had it saved on my favorites a LONGGG time ago and was looking at the dates and noticed how many times it popped up just doin it again :D

7. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

bump, omg!!