measuring actual GPM of head

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by zliminator, Jun 24, 2006.

1. zliminator

zliminator LawnSite Member

If I have 1 or more heads connected to the same pipe as a pressure gauge and measure the pressure before and after turning on the head (using a valve between the gauge and head) can I calculate the GPM? Or would it be easier to just try and collect the water from the head in a bucket for a minute?

dan

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Better to just take the brand, model and nozzle number and look it up on the web site or in a catalog. :)

Are you talking about a rotor or spray pop-up?

3. zliminator

If I can't find it I'll just put a plastic bag over it and let it fill up a bucket.

Dan

4. Good luck with that.....

5. PurpHaze

Regardless what you do you're in for an experience. :)

Why are you wanting to do this? Part of Ninrocket's experiments???:rolleyes:

6. zliminator

looking it up on the internet just sounds like too much work.

Dan

7. PurpHaze

Sheesh... Another guy that wants to reinvent the wheel??? :laugh:

Must be that southeast humidity wrecking some brain cells down there.

8. zliminator

now that I think about it, it could be quite a mess. I just wanted to see for myself and maybe see how it compares to the published values.

Dan

9. PurpHaze

LOL... Go for it dude. Then post a pic of your sorry wet a$$ when you're done. :drinkup:

10. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

What if he just built a custom bucket with a diameter equal to that of the spray head. He could then drill a hole in the center, slip it over the head and silicone it down. Then after it ran a minute he could use a turkey baster to pull the water out and put it into a calibrated measuring cup. That's gotta be easier than looking up the specs on the mfgr's website. LOL