1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

measuring beds for mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JML, Mar 29, 2000.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

what is the best way to measure beds for mulching, since not one bed is a perfect circle? thanks<p>joe
  2. Alan

Alan Member

Best I have ever done is to pace them off and try to relate to 100 sq. ft. increments. One yard of mulch will cover 100 ft at a 3 inch depth. Most beds are way too irregular to be able to measure them reliably.
  3. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

measure it as a square it wont hurt to have extra mulch you can either putit deeper or you can use it somewhere else <p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
  4. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

this brings up an interesting question,how many prefer bags over bulk,and how many sq.feet do you figure a 2cubic feet bag will do at say 3&quot;....i want to see if my calculations are correct at 8sqf<p>Tim<p>CCLC<br>
  5. cjcland

bulk will save you alot of money and its usually loaded by a tractor rather than bags wich you will load by hand<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
  6. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

I know that but think about the clean up that you save,,,I once did a job that required 7 yards of designer cypress mulch<br>and did it in 3 hours with 3 people 2 dropping and one with his thumb up his ***..<br>
  7. tjg

tjg LawnSite Member

I like the bags, bulk:you have to store it in a large space and is not as easly handled I think as bags and if you leave a job and have extra it is in the bags and not in a pile that cannot be move around a easy.I buy it by the pallet and store it in the shop out of rain and sunshine. Just my idea. <p>----------<br>T.J. Greenfield<br>
  8. cjcland

how much bulk are you talking about i was thinking like 2-3 yards i dont have any accts that require more than that<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
  9. CLM1

CLM1 LawnSite Member

I try to measure my beds as close to a workable shape as possible, ie. square, rectangle, triangle or circle. figure the area and convert to cu. yds. depending on the depth you are after.<br>Here's an example for a bed 30'x 23'= 690'sq.<br>Take 690 and multiply by .33 (4&quot; depth/.25 3&quot; depth) 690x.33=227.7 now divide 227.7 by 27 = 8.43 cu.yd.
  10. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

TPC your calculations are right a 2 cubic bag will cover8 sq. ft. at 3&quot; thick, 1 cubic yard- 3&quot; thick- 108 sq. ft.<p>----------<br>Dale moonarrow@hotmail.com<br>Southern lawn and Landscape