1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Measuring By The Yard

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by RBP, May 31, 2004.

1. RBP

RBP LawnSite Member
    from mi

Does this sound right?One of my wheelbarrows is 8 cu.ft. so three heaping wheelbarrows should equal a yard wich is 27 cu.ft. am i right?The reason im asking is when i give an estimate for say 6 yards of mulch and then pick up 6 yards of mulch from supplier and actually use all of it at the cust. house,a couple of times i have kept track of how many wheelbarrow loads i have used and it comes up to more than six yards measuring by the wheelbarrow load.It seems to me then that i underestimated the job a bit and the supplier gave me more than 6 yards of mulch.However if i estimated the job at 6 yards and picked up 6 yards and used it all then maybe it really doesn't matter how many wheelbarrow loads i used.does any of this make any sense? Holy crap it is 12:40 AM AND I HAVE TO BE UP BY 6:OO.I better get to bed.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

yes, 27 cu feet is one yard

3. genoaustin

genoaustin LawnSite Member

if a wheelbarrow is 8 cu ft, then 3 is 24 cu ft. You would have 3 co ft left, almost 1/2 wheelbarrow.

4. cutandblow

cutandblow LawnSite Member

And it "fluffs up" from being shoveled (or pitchforked)...more air taking up more space.

5. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I think 13 .2 bags =1 yrd someone correct me if i'am wrong?

6. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It would actually be 13.5 bags but your close enough for gov't work

7. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I would say that if you use the same supplier every year then it doesn't matter. If you pay for 6 yards and use it all then you are right on.

8. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the time the guys loading your trailer or truck don't even pay attention to how much they load. The bucket is a certain size, but people will overfill or underfill the bucket when they are getting it out of the pile. I have ordered 8yards of red ochre and they gave me almost 11.. And I'm 100% sure I measured right..

9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

So if you have some left over, sell it to the next guy!
    A few snacks delivered to the mulch guys can pay off in a big way too.