Measuring flower beds for mulch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cks dad, Apr 4, 2007.

1. cks dad

cks dad LawnSite Member

Just wondering how do you pros measure flower beds to decide on how much mulch you will need to do a job.This is my first year doing mulch and im not sure how to figure out how much mulch i would need before i quote jobs.Any help would be appreciated.

2. Regular Joe

Regular Joe LawnSite Member

I make all the areas into squares, or rectagles, triangles and such. Then I walk the distances off (one regular step for me is right @ 3'). Measure all the shapes and draw a sketch, then use a mulch calculator to determine the total. Rule of thumb is this...new installs you get about 100 sq. ft. per cubic yard of mulch, and refreshing beds you can go with about .7 cubic yards for every 100 feet.

This one is the best i found. It has an area calculator for triangels as well.
    http://www.gardenplace.com/content/calculator/mulch_calc.html

http://www.glossonsg.com/matl.htm

3. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

Length X width X (depth of mulch wanted divided by 12) divided by 27 is how many yards of mulch you need

4. cks dad

cks dad LawnSite Member

Thank you for the help regular joe

5. cks dad

cks dad LawnSite Member

Thank you packer i will try that

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on the depth of the mulch but for me normally a yard covers 150 sqft.

I highly recommend buying a measuring wheel...a lot of beds are not square but just approximate.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

1 yd. @ 3" deep covers just a hair under 100 sq. ft. (10'x10').

8. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

how many ft are in a yard is it 3?

and also how do you find sq. ft. is it like this 10' by 10'.

do you do this Ex. 10X10=100 and then the 100 is the sq.ft.?

9. GSPHUNTER

GSPHUNTER LawnSite Senior Member

Bigmudder, a yard is 27 cubic feet, which means it is 3ftx3ftx3ft. In terms of mulch it is the length x width x depth of mulch / 27. Remember the depth is going to be a fraction though, because the the other measurements are in terms of feet. A 2 inch depth would be 2/12 or 1/6.

10. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

ok i kinda get it now thanks for your help. i remember going over this in school but its been a while and i got destracted a lot in school cause i didnt want to be there. lol thanks again for the help