measuring how much mulch one needs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RonWin, Apr 3, 2013.

1. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

What's the best way to figure out how many yards of mulch you need ? I don't have the trained eye of guestimating and measuring takes forever since most beds are winding and filled with plants. Are there any quick accurate tricks you guys have without walking through with measuring wheels ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

1 cubic yard covers 100 square feet at a 3" depth. 100 sq. Ft. Is a 10' x 10. Area.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Once you do a few you'll guess right.

4. dnc19694339

dnc19694339 LawnSite Member

I will tell you how I do it. As I walk the property I picture 10x10 areas in the mulch and each one is a yard of mulch at 3 inches thick.

Obviously like Grandview said, it will take a few to get the hang of it and I still make mistakes but most of the time it is in my favor. Rarely do we run out of mulch on a job as I send more and when we come back to yard we just dump it back in the pile for tomorrows use.

5. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Here's an idea....measure! LENGTH X WIDTH = AREA add up all areas. break up beds in squares or rectangles. add up total # sq foot wallah! there's your #. Don't sell yourself short and guestimate.

6. HDLLandscaping

HDLLandscaping LawnSite Member

This is what I have done. Bought an extendable measuring wheel that can fit almost anywhere I want to store it in the truck, makes measuring fast.

7. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Agreed with the above posters. If I were you I would bust out the measurements on the first few and make sure you don't under estimate the amount needed. If you have a smart phone there are several free apps you can download that you can enter the length and width and desired depth and it will calculate the amount needed for you. After you do a few you should be able to just eyeball it and be just as accurate. When I look at beds, I picture it in spaced out bags of mulch now.

8. hemiman

hemiman LawnSite Member
    from Earth

what if you bought it by the bag and one bag = 2 cubic feet how many bags would it take todo a 10x10 area 3" deep

9. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

L x w x depth in inches/324=cubic yards

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are 27 cubic ft. in a yard.