measuring how much mulch one needs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by RonWin, Apr 3, 2013.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Depends how the customer wants it, I mean if she's bending over in front of you practically
    begging for it I say give it to her good and hard but otherwise play it slow and long.

Oh yeah, yeah, estimating the square footage requires frequent close inspections, with the customer.
    Absolutely, especially for mulch.

Depends if she's hot, too.
    And receptive to the idea, of course, that always helps.

Never know, she might go for a lot more than 3 inches.
    But if that's all you got, that's all you got.

2. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I use a measuring wheel as well...its a quick easy and accurate way to fixure out how Much mulch is needed...when the job is completed I write down how much mulch was needed at each property so that I don't have to spend the time measuring again the following year
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

sq ft/81 for 4 inch thick, sq ft/108 for 3 inch thick

4. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

that is what i do, i have a measuring wheel i got off ebay for like 20 bucks that is in my truck at all times. I break that bad boy out, and break everything up into squares or rectangles to get a better idea of the area without guessing. there are plenty of mulch calculators you will find online, i have a smart phone app.. but hey.. its all simple math.. I just prefer the calculators myself.:laugh:

5. Slimreynolds

Slimreynolds LawnSite Member

Best and most accurate way is to break beds down into triangles, rectangles, squares, or circles and measure with a measuring wheel.

Like they said above 1 yard will cover 100 sq ft at 3 inches.

Here are the equations to find the area:

Circle.....Area = Radius Squared X 3.14...so in other words radius times radius times 3.14

square/rectangle...Area = Length X width

Triangle....Area = 1/2 (Base X Height)...in other words, break down triangles into right triangles then multiply base and height...then cut it in half.

...basic math. If you don't know how to do this then you shouldn't be in business ;)

6. 205mx

205mx LawnSite Silver Member

What happens if the guy with the bobcat gives you too much mulch or not a full bucket!!!!???? OMG

People. This stuff ain't rocket science
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. StrokerTurbo7.3

StrokerTurbo7.3 LawnSite Member

Grab a shovel when the operator isn't looking and move quickly. Lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. aclawn

aclawn LawnSite Member

9. USESIM

USESIM LawnSite Member

We have had to shovel mulch onto out trailer after an operator dumped the "angel's share" over the side of the trailer while loading. The amount of mulch really depends on how level the bed is as well as the type of mulch. A 3 inch standard is a good starting point. Anything less than that you may run into coverage and runoff problems. We have landscaped beds with holes in them that took a little creativity. Geometry will help you a lot with mulch.:usflag:

10. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

Yep same here!