measuring lawns covered in snow

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Dec 13, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

How 'bout slippage of measuring wheels causing low measurements?

Seems many commercial properties call for quotes during the worst winter conditions.:hammerhead:

How do you guys handle this?:laugh:

rscvp, thanks.:)

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I can walk off a large lawn and be very accurate. My problem with giving bids on lawns covered in snow is that I can't see the condition of the lawn. Once I did a January bid on an apartment complex, there was a large area which I thought was parking, turned out to be lawn. I learned my lesson.:laugh::laugh:

3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

google earth (satalite views), you can measure the property from there, but just make sure you drive by and check for hills and such.

4. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Practice walking a specific pace and measure it. After many years I am within 3% on10,000sqft.

5. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

how do you do that?

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Screwnails in your wheel. Kinna like studs for your truck tires.

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

just type google earth into your search engine. you can search just about any address, except washington D.C, and other goverment places. if you want to use the measuring portion you will need to pay money for the software, but you get ALOT better quality photos. my friend has paid for the program and he gets great pictures and the measurments are great, but it doesn't show 3d so you need to visit the property to make sure it's not on a 45 degree hill and you bid it on a 'A' cut, and if you do full maintenance you need to measure the beds, etc. but the turf seems to be the most time consuming part of the bid.:)

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Tecca,

Do you know what the cost is for the program? Is it a one time fee or monthly?

Thanks,
    RC

9. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I use a GPS or a Laser Range finder on big properties. Both work great. Either would work in the snow.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the measuring feature, but never paid anything. You go to tools,>Ruler (It gives a dropdown box to select anywhere from miles to inches). Simply click on one end of an island, and holding the left button down, slide across from to the other end of the island. What is cool, is that like for straight square or open rectangular areas, you can "pick up" the mark on a corner, and pivot it over to another corner while the other corner stays stationary. The line of measure (red) stretches and declines as you move the cursor (with left button pressed). Now, here is ANOTHER cool thing there are two options...line and path. On the path option, if you have curved areas, you are able to measure the length of these and around these. As you move your cursor, you simply left click at anytime and it "marks" that spot. As you are "tracing" the curved areas, just click as often as you like, and it automatically adds up the total distance moved. Here's an example of where I've used this particular feature. I estimated a newer mobile home park for spraying the curblines with vegetation control. The long front drive is curvy, and the street corners are wide sweeps. I was able to accurately measure the distances of the whole place and do the proposal from the comfort of my living room.