Measuring Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn DOG, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you actually measure you customers lawns? I have read several post in here about what people charge for different services but how many of you actually measure the lawns?

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I can usually just look at the property and tell what I will charge. But if it has a large open space, or I can't get a true judge I will walk it off to have a estimation of the size. I never need to know exactly how many square feet in the property just to mow. Only if putting in a large mulch bed would I need to get that close with sizing, but then again it would only be for the bed area and not the whole thing.

3. RICKT761

RICKT761 LawnSite Member

Hi Lawn Dog

We have always measured the lawns using a measuring wheel.

You HAVE to know the square footage if you plan to apply fertilizer,broad leaf weed killer or any other material and do it properly.

It could cost you $$$ on a weekly basis if you "miscalculate" the actual size of the lawns.

I would strongly suggest that you invest in a measuring wheel. It takes the guesswork out of it.

Richard Turner

R & R Landscaping

4. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I won't go into measuring the yards to deeep here in this thread because I put a lot of input into a GREAT post a while back about measuring yards. If I have time later I'll find the link.

I think its a safe way to bid weather your apllying fert or just mowing. Of course we could all get a rough idea of how long it will take, but if you keep track of how many linear feet of trimming, edging, square feet of mowing and blowing, etc. you can pinpoint your production time and other important things.

Its a pain, but how long does it really take to do??

I suggest you guys read that other thread if you haven't already.

I think this definetly comes into play when your bidding against other contractors on a job and have to come in with a very accurate price.

Just my 2 anal cent though!

5. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Measure them. For the turf don't get to picky about deducting for in lawn beds and sidewalks. Wether mowing or applying product your driving over or around these areas and using time or materials just like they were turf anyhow.

I do include the foundation plantings in the house foot print for deduct. I also deduct for drive ways, pools and other large areas not serviceable.

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I measure some of them. If I don't think I can ever sell them on anything other than basic mowing, I don't bother digging the wheel out.

7. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a measuring wheel at the beginning of the year and started to base all my mowing on rough square footage instead of estimating time by just looking at the lawns. This has been widely successful for my profits. Not only that, but it has caused confidence in my quotes to soar. It's a far better system than just guestimating, and my business is the better for it.

However, do take into consideration other factors like extra edging surfaces, obstacles you need to weedeat around, volume of leaves you'll have to deal with because of trees, and large areas of blowout. Some of these factors will add just a few minutes per cut but if you want accurate profits you have to realize that these extra minutes add up.

-TgC

8. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Are you guys just using a productivity formula to factor in the time once you have measured?

9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Definetly! I refer a lot of people that e-mail me with questions about job costing, estimating, and figuring out your equipment costs, etc, to my post on that thread.

When I write my book its going to be the first and favorite section I write! ;)