Measuring Lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Canadian GreenScape, May 4, 2004.

1. Canadian GreenScape

Canadian GreenScape LawnSite Member

Does anyone measure each lawn (or lot) either for more efficent bookeeping or for really accurate pricing? Do you use those wheeled measuring thingys or just eye-ball them? It would make it easier to pick out the least productive jobs (but then theres the man hours arguement) And theres more to a lawn then just mowing too (trimming, walkways, etc.. ) I was thinking of getting a measuring wheel off ebay for $9 solely for estimating fertilizer and lime applications.

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I use the measuring wheel for odds and ends, especially measuring out mulch jobs, and jobs based on area, like sod installs etc. As far as mowing, after doing yards for a while, I can usually eyeball them just by looking at them now, and saying, that's a $25 yard, or that's a $30 yard.
    It is a good idea to measure each yard though, so you can account for the right amount of over-seeding, or fertilizing, or items specific to regulation.

3. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I measure every property before I give an estimate. 99% of the time I don't use the number for my mowing estimate, but it goes in the customer's file, and I pull it out to be able to quote other prices on other jobs down the road. For example...Aerating is something I always price by square footage even if my price comes in higher than somebody else's, and since I already have square footage for all of my customers as well as for some people I gave estimatres to but didn't land, I can send letters with a quote for aerating each year. It becomes more of an advertising tool for me, and it allows me to be able to save a trip down the road to measure for someone.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

One valuable tool I have found is my county tax assessment site. It allows you to instantly look up any property, in any town, in the entire county. It gives you the exact measurements of the lot plus any improvements or add-ons, such as decks, pools, sheds, etc. Also, it tells you the size and value of the home. Good information. I can basically come up with a price before even seeing the property. Although you still want to check it out for things like slopes, fences, landscape layout, etc.

I know several cities/counties are making this information available online these days. You might want to look into it.

5. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I always measure the turf areas with a wheel. This mainly helps when the customer asks for a fertilization application.

Makes it easy to estimate pricing as well as knowing how much product you need.