Measuring Liquid Fert/Herbicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Doogiegh, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

If you're using a small, 3-4 gallon Solo backpack sprayer to spot-treat weeds, using liquid Round-up pro, which is to be used at a 2% concentration per gallon, what do you guys use for measuring out quantities of chemicals?

Test tubes?

Regular chemistry type beakers? Is there a supplier on line that you guys buy from?

And if you're going to switch from applying a chemical where NOTHING will grow there for 9 months to a year, and then switching to a post-emergent weed control, what do you use to rinse out the tank so that you can switch from chemical to chemical?

Or do you use 2 different Solo backpack sprayers and label them with permanent marker accordingly?

This is for my own home application, I'm not in business yet.. Practicing on my home plot of grass first before I get certified and go nto business. thanks for the help.

Gary

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Use seperate sprayers if you can. One should be for nonselectives such as Roundup. One can be for Phenoxy herbicides that contain 2,4-D or whatever you like. A third can be resered for ornamental use if needed.

If more than 1 isn't an option yet, common household bleach will neutralize most herbicides. So will industrial Ammonia. Never mix the 2 together.

Penoxy herbicides penetrate rubber. This can result in ornamental damage even after a good cleaning. When in doubt, don't use the contaminated sprayer.

Many chemical suppliers sell spray tank cleaners. We offer one called LESCOSOL that is as good as it gets.

www.lesco.com

Measuring quantities of chemicals of less than 1 oz can be much easier with some medical tools. If you have any small children, take a look in the medicine chest. Better still are the small, calibrated eyedropper looking medicine dispensers that are given away for free by pediatricians & pharmacies to the parents of infants & toddlers. No kids? Ask anyone who does for a used one. Or just inquire at the pharmacy counter at any good drug store. They might be free.

Lable ALL measuring devices as TOXIC & store in a locked, approved, metal cabinet. Roundup & Phenoxy herbicide measuring cups need to be labled & dedicated for their exclusive use too.

Steve

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Doogiegh

There is a fertilizer-- pesticide store in your area I think the name is Les-- something oh LESCO. They sell a container called a tip and pour. They are great just pour your pesticide in them and label it. By tipping the bottle you can put just the right amount of chemical in the second chamber which has a gauge on it, then take the cap off and pour it in the spray tank. Tip and pours are safe and you need not clean anything up. With a 4 gallon back pack you need not to use eye droppers to measure chemicals.

I will have to agree with Steve (although I hate To) first statement about using two or three different sprayers if you can. But if you have more time than money then bleach or ammonium will oxide most chemicals. However be sure to wash out the bleach or ammonium so it does not effect the next tank mix.

As far as Roundup being a nonselective herbicide you need to talk with a good chemical salesman. They would tell you that Roundup is not only a select herbicide but in fact a growth regulator. Since there is more Roundup sold than any other chemical for horticulture. All of the knowledgeable Chemical salesman know this.

4. Doogiegh

Thanks for the info Tremor. Rick - I gotta check, but I've heard all about Lesco and so far the only place I've seen Lesco at all in Central NJ is some products are for sale at the local Home Depot. I have not seen or come across as single 'Lesco' shop anywhere in my area. Maybe they are by you in Florida and other parts of the country, but I haven't found one yet near me in NJ.

Thanks for the tip N pour. I'll see how that goes. And being I'm only mixing like 4 gallons at a time, I might be able to get a simple graduated cylinder to measure out my 10 ounces at a time.

Thanks

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Doogiegh

How about a measuring cup from the supermarket.

6. tremor

LESCO #508
    40 Brunswick Ave Suite 102B
    Edison, NJ 08817
    (732) 248-8979
    Jim & Larry
    sls508@lesco.com

This could cost me. We'll see.

Steve

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

We use ordinary kitchen stainless or glass measuring cups for moderate volume mixes. Plastic measuring spoons for smaller volumes. We rinse right into the tank each mix and residue is not a problem.

For those real high potency products you can go to a vet or maybe a drug store and get a plastic syringe minus needle that will handle 3cc/ml.

I like separate sprayers for non-selectives, broadleafs and insect/disease control. We use a back pack sprayer that has pull out plastic jugs for a tank. It makes for a nice change over and easy clean. We label jugs with what was mixed or type of product they are for and use the lesco neutralizer or plain water to flush the system.

8. Doogiegh

Thanks for the Lesco site!! I had no idea they were there, and I know where that road is! That's great! Too bad Lesco's web site that I just checked out isn't more informative about anything that we care about. <G>

I'll also check into the simple grocery store type items for a nice measuring device. Sounds simple enough.

Thanks everyone, your help on here is unsurpassed.

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Good question Doogiegh. Lets ask Steve why a national fertilizer company that markets to "professionals" doesn't offer more informative material for their customers to read on their website.
    Are informed customers not better customers. I am sure Lesco has someone who can write a Short and to the point article that tells how fertilizer is used by plants. Opps that sounds like my website.
    Ric's website

10. tremor

Hello Ric,

Short? Better not have us do it.
    Nice website. I'll touch base later when I can since I'm on the road a lot during the day now.

We own a very cool (or so I've heard) website/forum that has never been opened up. The one we've all seen is lame. We don't deny it.

We wasted 3 years exploring/designing an online web-based E-Store, but have pretty much scratched it. Freight variables were among the issues that came up.

The guy who's been ramping the thing up as time & bduget allow (check the stock price) tells me that when it is opened, it will be great. We'll see. Your's is looking good at any rate.

Steve