Measuring Mulch Beds????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by topchoice, Jan 29, 2007.

1. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

Okay guys, I am trying to figure out what the easiest way is to measure a variety of mulch beds. Do I just measure the perimeter to get the square footage or do I measure the length of the bed then measure the biggest width and figure that out as the average. I have a measuring wheel to do this with but just want to make it easy on myself. I can usually estimate easily by just looking at it, but you know how that goes sometimes- either too much or too little. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

2. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Geometry was important in high school

If the bed is virtually square meaning 50 feet long and 10 feet wide (even if the corners are rounded you can assume you are close to the actual bed size) then you have 500 square feet

if the bed is near a circle then the area is (Pie x radius squared) if the diameter is 6 then the radius is 3 (3 x 3 x pie (3.1415) = 28 square feet

if it is triangular then the area is 1/2 the base of the triangle times the height of the triangle (if the base is 6 and the height is 25 then you have 1/2 x 6 x 25 = 75 square feet

Measure the total perimeter of all beds in need of edging too and write that down so you can always propose bed edging, sell yourself on the edging along with the mulching as the bed just doesnt look finished if all you did is throw mulch down, the edge can be reestablished every year.

3. BeautifulBlooms

And then take your total area for the job and multiply it by the depth necessary 1, 2, 3 inches???? I usually go with 2 inches for a refresher, 3 inches for a newer bed with little mulch left. Reme,ber that is in inches not feet so in essence if you are using 2 inches as your depth take your square feet divided by 6, if you use 3 inches as your depth take your square feet divided by 4, (4 inches would be divided by 3, 6 would be divided by 2, 1 would be divided by 12)

4. topchoice

topchoice LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info- I guess I slept through my Freshman year Geometry class. I see you are in Milwaukee- was born and raised there, have been in TN now for 5 years. I miss it up there, actually I miss the snow, I'd rather have snow then a rainy, muddy winter!

5. BeautifulBlooms

Yep I am in milwaukee born raised left for college and then returned.

I am leaving to drive down to florida tomorrow so I will be out of the snow and cold for a couple weeks