Measuring RPM

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BillWil, Dec 16, 2005.

1. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

I'm in Michigan and have just finished getting all the mowers ready for winter, but I couldn't check the rpm limits as the piece of equipment I've been using for the past 12 years jumped off the shelf and broke into alot of pieces. :cry: I don't want to talk about how that happened!! So, I need to purchase a new one, what brand? where to buy? I am not a repair tech, just like to maintain my own equipment. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Tiny Tach. You can get one from your local Briggs dealer, I use one daily and they take a beating. I tried to find the part number but couldn't, Their in the 40.00 range.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

How accurate are the tiny tachs? I've got one but and I was just wondering.

I paid around $40.00 for mine.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sendec and Tiny tach are both very accurate.We have installed a tiny tach ,on all our Lazer's and Zmasters ,and the Exmark walkbehind's .

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

They are as accurate as I have found as 6'7 330 said, I also used a vibra tach for years until I got my tiny tach. Just for the heck of it when I got it I tested it against the vibra tach and they read the same, So it's good to me.

8. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

Went to see my Briggs dealer and he sold me his old Vibra Tech for $10 after showing me how it worked and that it was as accurate as the electronic model he uses now. Explained to me that he went electronic when he bought his snow mobile and wave rider. I'm the only man in MI without those toys.