Measuring snow/rain

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Dec 3, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know how much and inch of rain equals in snow? I'm trying to get a rough idea how much snow we may get according to the link that iowastorm posted. By the way... thanks again iowa!

-Tim

2. allabout

allabout LawnSite Member

1" of rain= 12" of snow

3. matthew Urban

matthew Urban LawnSite Member

I'm not sure, but I think it may be around 9 or 10"
    goodluck,
    matt

4. SlimJim Z71

Wow... that's good news. IF that map was right... I'm looking at anywhere between 8-10" of snow! Yeee Haaawwww!

-Tim

5. Alan

Alan Member

It may average out to 1-12 or 1-10, but it varies so much depending on conditions that without actually collecting and melting down a measureed sample there is no real good way to tell.

6. allabout

allabout LawnSite Member

It' 10" with blowing & drifting 12" sorry for misleading 10" or 12' is big snow for are state slimjim .

7. allabout

allabout LawnSite Member

with melt down let's hope it only 5" I must go watch the weather p.s. the book you sent me Chuck is great.

8. SlimJim Z71

Yeah allabout... that would be a good storm for us. It'd keep me busy for about 12 hours. Let's just start praying now! By the way, I've heard of the indian rain dance... is there one for snow???

-Tim

9. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Actual ratios of rain vs. snow depend upon several variables: how much moisture is available in the lower atmosphere and what the temperatures are at and above the surface. Twice per day, forecasters release weather ballons to collect data to determine things like moisture content and wind speeds with height in the lower part of the atmosphere. This data is put into what are called 'soundings'. These are very complicated, but essential to forecasting (especially for severe weather). Anyway, although this was slightly off the subject, it all means that 1" of rain does not always equal 10 or 12" of snow.

10. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member