Measuring square footage

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bladerookie, Apr 28, 2004.

1. bladerookie

bladerookie LawnSite Member

OK..I hope this is not a stupid question.....

I see some of you estimate the price for cutting a lawn by the square footage of the lot. So for example: If I have a lot that is 100' x 200' then the footage would be 20,000 sq/ft....my question is, do you guys consider the size of the house in any way? If the lot is 20,000 sq/ft but the house encompasses a portion of the land, do you consider the house in the equation? SO the 20,000 sq/ft lot may only be 17,000 sq/ft once you subtract the house itself. Does anyone follow these guidelines?

2. larz

larz LawnSite Member

Ya you measure the grass area, measure the bed areas, edging, w-eat, shrubs & count the trees. You may also measure the hardscapes for leave control in the winter. Measuring a property properly for a bid, can take an hour or more. There is alot more to it than just measuring the bondaries.

3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

If your looking for the sq ft in order to calculate mowing prices, then olny measure the lawn area by itself.

4. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

The only silly question is the one that is not asked.

To most people your question would seem trivial, but they also asked the same question themselves once. You also had the courage to ask, and was not afraid of the answer.

Bryn

5. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

Yea, for all you established guys out there: Can you go through a typical bid step by step explaining everything for us newbies :) Like what you measure out, what you take into account, etc.

6. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I built a spreadsheet in Excel where I input the square footage - of the turf area only, and then us a multiplier for difficulity. The multiplier number gets higher the more obstacles to mowing there are, such as trees, hills, etc.

Randy

7. Dixie Cutters

Dixie Cutters LawnSite Member

Randy, that sounds intresting. Is there any way I can get that spreadsheat from you? My email is STB_Tango@Hotmail.com

8. mbenz

mbenz LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Randy Im justing starting also and haveing trouble myself with the biding , Can you mail me a copy at cunn162@hotmail.com

9. mbenz

mbenz LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

10. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Be happy to send it to anyone, but I need you to email me at rdj_1@charter.net.

Thanks.

Randy