measuring steps?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Stringblade, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

how do you guys go about measuring steps for versalock? is there a simple formula? ive never done steps over five. now i have to put in a bid for a large case. thanks for your help.

2. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

total inches of your rise divide it by 6.0'', if your matching coarses you would be making a 6'' step with the standard versa-lok block.

example : 12 ft rise = 144 inches. 144 divide by 6.0'' = 24 steps

3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll tell you how I do it. I take the lineal feet of each riser, multiply it by .5(6" rise) and divide that by .67 (approx. sq. ft. of each Versa Lok stretcher). Finally, multiply that number by how many stacks there are in that rise.

Example: A set of steps that are 6' wide. The first riser is 6" above ground level or pavement. There are two stacks in that riser; the exposed riser and the buried course. Lineal feet =6', height of each rise=.5', sq.ft of each block=.67, and stacks = 2 (base course+exposed course).

6(lineal feet of riser)*.5(height of block)=3
    3/.67(sq.ft. of each block)=4.47 or 4.5
    4.5* 2(stacks)=9

You need 9 block to install 1 riser for a 6' wide step.

The second riser woud have 3 stacks, the third would have 4 stacks and so on.

4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep and after 5 steps you want to create another pedistal.

5. mbella

I thought you wanted to know how to estimate the block where the number of risers was known. Either way, PAPS explained how to figure the number of risers and I explained how to estimate the block.

6. Stringblade

Stringblade LawnSite Member
    from pgh pa

do all of you use the pedestol method? I usually just cut in as i go laying a two sets of block for each course. does anyone do that?

7. mbella

We use the pedestal method.

8. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Versa-lok recommends pedistal method.

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I think they recommend that method so they sell more block. When i build stairs i do not do it that way. I have 1 course in the ground then the riser.

I can not think of any reason why the pedstal method would be better.

Matt

10. mbella

Matt, I recommend it because it's easier and it's a stronger application. When I compare the dollars saved on labor vs. the dollars spent on extra block, it's not much different.