1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Measuring Wheel

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by drsogr, Feb 25, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I read about a gps system that you use to measure. Has anyone ever used anything like this?

I have been using the lufkin big wheel measuring wheel. I feel I need something more accurate. Especially on the yards with weird angles.

Any ideas?
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I got a measuring wheel last year and didn't use it much. But this year I use it all the time, I got some software that included a mulch calculator. I just plug in the numbers and it gives me the amount I need.
  3. drsogr

I can do the calculations for a mulch bed. I am speaking mostly of unique lots where we are laying sod.
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

If you cut the plot plan up into circles, triangles and squares/rectangles then it's easier to figure out.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a digital one before that you could use it to find the area of any shape by running it around the perimeter on all sides. Not really practicle for a lot of things but would be best for getting the most accurite measuremant.

My measuring wheel is one from Lesco. they are pretty basic but built a lit stronger than most of the others out there. the handle dosn't telescope or fold though, so you cant store it in a tight spot, but it's pretty indestructable and I think they are $45 or so.
  6. drsogr

LOL I know how to calculate purple haze. I got my a in trig! I am just looking for an easier way! There are some lots that really don't have a square edge to start from....they are just a pain!

I heard about a gps one that sounded interesting...I was hoping someone would know about it.
  7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i think that gps is only accurate with in 10 feet/meters so i think your figures would be as close if not closer and the cost would make it alittle out of reason.

and the only reason i know gps is off is i was on a deep sea fishing boat once and the captin showed me that by the gps we were like 12 feet under sea level. just thought it was funny
  8. drsogr

I guess I will have to stick with the paper, pencil and measuring wheel.
  9. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a range finder. I am going to get one this uear to try. If nothing else, I will have a good range finder for hunting. Have used a GPS also. They come pretty accurate for measuring.
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

LOL. I never went past geometry and I still do OK.

When dealing with something like a Hogarth curve just treat it like a straight line. The curves inside and outside the base line usually balance out.

Sometimes the old method is the best method. I've seen GPS used for large properties such as golf courses and parks for landscape and irrigation designs where being off a few feet isn't going to have a great impact. Don't know how reliable it'd be for smaller properties.

Also regarding walking wheels: buy one with a LARGE wheel. You'll thank yourself many times over. :clapping: