measuring wheel

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by VO Landscape Design, Feb 5, 2008.

1. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

What type/brand of measuring wheel do you use to measure with? I have seen many different size wheels from 2" to 25". I will be using it mainly for residential yards maybe some commercial, nothing real large. I have many tape measures but rolling seems a might easier.
    Thanks
    VO

2. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought one a few days ago form Lowes...it is a Black and Decker 4ft t-scoping pole and it measures up to 10000ft......$29.99

3. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

mine is so old it dosn't even have a name anymore..

2 dollars at a yard sale

i use it when i think my eyes are playing tricks on me
    I checked it against my 50ft tape and came up with 49.... close enough for me

Like i said if the property is huge, or its hard to keep your landmarks in sight for the visual... i will use it...its also handy for estimating flexible edging or the distance you plan to dig for curved walkways

I could get by without it but sometimes like a pair of vice grips its a handy tool

mostly i keep it around when someone says "its only 300 feet of road frontage where do you keep getting 425?! "

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the larger wheel. The small wheels are for hard surface measuring, like asphalt or concrete. Other than that portability is about the only other concern.

Kirk

5. flhntr

flhntr LawnSite Member

i use a larger wheel to great for grass

6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Stanley digital wheel: $69.99 Home Depot

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Whichever wheel you get, get one of the larger ones. I went cheap and bought one with a smal wheel, it is hard to roll through grass.

8. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. Will be picking up one soon. Thought the larger (bigger than 2") would be better for grass and yards, better roll.
    VO

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

check out some of the hand held GPS units, alot them have options for marking areas and such...

10. fertguy2008

fertguy2008 LawnSite Member

We used to have a lot of problems with the big wheeled and the small wheeled colapsable handle ones not holding up. The ones we sell here at lesco are very simple and do not have a lot of mechanical parts that easily break. They cost about $50 but I've seen some roll around here that are 8+ years old.