Measuring Yards

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fordnut, Jan 11, 2008.

1. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

What is the easiest way to get the sq footage of a yard that is not square?
    I have a measuring wheel; however I was wondering if I could measure the whole peremeter to get the linear footage and then use the linear measurements to get the whole sq footage of the yard? I understand that I would then need to substract the measurements of the buildings and driveways. Thanks!
  2. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Divide the property into as many squares or triangle that you can. Remember, to get the square footage of a triangle, just do the math like you are measuring it as a square and then divide by two. If its a little bit fudged (the numbers) always add just a little on the side of error so as not to short change yourself when it comes to material. Thats the simplest way I found to keep from driving yourself bonkers over a couple hundred square feet here or there. Good luck!:)
  3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Thats the way I do it.
  4. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

If you have a circular or near circular area measure the radius of the circle. Pie times radius squared

Otherwise just break it into squares and rectangles, and triangles. Thos are easy calculations.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A trapezoid shaped lawn....where the two sides of the lawn are different lengths, and the front edge and the back edge are two different widths, then this is what you do. You take the left edge (length) of the yard, and the right edge of the yard. Add those together, and divide by 2. This gives you the average. Now, measure across the front at the road, and measure across the back (at the very back). Add these two together, and divide by 2. Now, take these two numbers and multiply them together. This gives you the TOTAL sq. footage of the lot. This does NOT subtract the house, hard surfaces, etc..
  6. fordnut

fordnut LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone
  7. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

gps =) i have a garmin etrex vista, 220 new off ebay, just walk it and it will tell u

i have found that its not always exact so i will do it more than once to check, and what i mean is sometimes its just WAY off but it will have the lines you walked and you can see if sumthing is messed up.