1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mechanic In A Bottle?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RickyDL77, Mar 4, 2011.

1. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

Seeing as this stuff is pretty flamable, might want to try that outside and at a good safe distance. Pretty sure the ultrasonic cleaner i have says dont use high VOC liquids as they can explode, adding heat would seem to only make it worse.

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Well Ricky.....

He did say he wanted to take it to the next level......:eek::angry::angel:

3. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

*trucewhiteflag* I'm just glad this week is over, someone sabataged 2 52" Standers, spent 14 hours yesterday changing the oil and checking under the valve cover for gumed up oil on nearly 100 machines.:weightlifter: Looked like sugar in the oil. I will post a new thread when i feel like typing anymore, now is nap time!!

4. piston slapper

10 4.....

Its Go Time...
    1 shorblock..1 overhaul..5 hydropumps...2 wheelmotors..with all the trimmings...so far this week.
    At least its friday....:walking:

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Kinda interesting nobody uses ultrasonic to clean carb?

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ed,

In a job shop, I don't have time to wait for a carb to take a bath. Time is money, I've been using spray cleaners with the straw and a rubber tipped blow gun way too many years without issue. Push um in, Clean um up and drive um out !

7. piston slapper

Ditto ...RestroRob.....
    Identify the carb....spray cleaner through the important passages...put a pressure gauge on the needle and seat.....NEXT......

It ain't rocket science....its just a simple carb...on a simple engine....
    Get some flow charts on carbs and study them....then that fancy fix it all ultrasonic cleaner will make a good parts bin....
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. piston slapper

It may be time to hold another class....these guys just dont quite grasp the concept of learning,.... and applying that new knowledge to further their capabilities as a mechanic....They need magic elixers and electric mumbo jumbo cleaning boxes, so they can obtain what they think are the same results, as those of us who have paid our dues and have actually done the work.

Who knows.....1 day maybe they'll have an app for carb cleaning.....??????????
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. piston slapper

Ed.....didn't mean to single you out .....
    As you probably guessed....I'm not a fan of snake oil products...
    There were no shortcuts to repairing things when me and old man Kohler were coming up through the ranks...I'm just oldschool......nuthin personal.....
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I can relate Slapper, After do'n the same thing the same way for sooo long it can be hard to change from a proven way.....

Off topic; Some 10yrs ago my boss thought he'd do me a favor and ordered one of those fancy pants bench top mower blade grinder machines, I opened the box and took one look at it then closed it back up. Went to his office and told em he could send it back, Why he asked..... Because I can sharpen 3 blades with my angle grinder in the time it'd take to set that thing up and sharpen one, He got pizzed but sent it back.

Moral of the story, Some tools/equipment are time wasters in a job shop environment...... JMO