1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mechanic Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dsaing, Jun 3, 2002.

1. dsaing

dsaing LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

To all mechanics,

I'm thinking of buying a 1987-1990 32" Exmark WB that has been sitting for 5 years. The seller starts it up and everything works fine. He had to disconnect all safety switches (neutral, blake) in order to get it started. It looks like the original engine has been replaced with an 8 hp B&S. Should I buy it? What is the long term effect of sitting for 5 years? Comments would be appreciated.

2. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

I'm no mechanic, but this don't pass the smell test.
  3. Would you know how to fix the stuff thats wrong?
    I'm with landscraper-smells like a big pile of ----
    Since you are asking - spend your money elsewhere
  4. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not a mech. either, but a commercial WB with a regular 8HP BS?! Odd...............................Most commercial mowers would use Kawasaki's or Hondas, I would think. (I'm not putting B&S down, either!:cool: )
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

you didn't say what his asking price is?
  6. dsaing

dsaing LawnSite Member
    from Zone 7

7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets say you buy it for 600. After getting it you replace all the belts, safety switches,axle bearings,1 spindle and rebuild the carb. I can see this mower needing all this done. Also you'll need a set of blades. Now you've got 1000 in it. Figure doing it all yourself at 15.00 per hour ( your time has a worth) Add 200 for time you could have been making money. So now you have a 1200 dollar,15 year old belt drive unit. Better pass this one up and spend 1200 dollars on a newer hydro unit that is ready to work.