Mechanic says to use premium gas/mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikesturf, Jul 14, 2004.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I only fert lawns, but my home 21" Toro mower (6yrs old) had some severe running problems. Mechanic said it needed carb work, $50. Works great now. He said I should consider using premium gas vs. regular gas. Anyone else agree with this? Why?

2. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldn't waste the money, especially with gas prices this high.. In a ZTR yes, maybe, but in a $300 mower no way

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I never heard that one. Every mower I've ever used, the manual said to use regular octane.

4. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, I've been through a two semester course on small engine repair and both instructors said run FRESH unleded regular in the motors. The preimum stuff has addatives that are abrasive and will wear out the rings.

That being said, I always run whatever grade gasoline the owner's manual recommends in any machine I own.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't waste your money, it doesn't need it.

6. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I have heard that premium is better for small engines. I use mid grade in all my equipment.

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

I was originally told and have since always used premium unleaded petrol, mainly in the Toro Z.

Even in the Honda line trimmer the premium unleaded gives a bit more power than straight unleaded crap.

8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I seriously doubt this. I have three mowers with over ten years commercial use so I think this blows that theory, in my opinion anyway.

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

the higher the octane,,,,,the COOLER the gas burns,,,,,or slower thus the no pinging!

10. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Norm Al is on the money. If it doesn't ping, no need for higher octane.