1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mechanics Lein

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by IN2MOWN, Nov 18, 2008.

1. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Quick question guys.

I have a customer who rents a duplex and has decided not to pay their bill to the tune of around $400.00.

Can I still put a mechanics lein on the property even though the customer only rents the property?

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Nope, options are call the owner and see if they make good on it, but most likely not. Or small claims if you have paperwork. If you dont have paperwork you pretty much have nothing, but empty threats. I require the owner of rentals to back the renter in case they default. Try to stay away from them completely though.

3. IN2MOWN

I sent the owner a letter as well as the renter with copies of the invoices, what was due and talk of a lein.

To be honest if I cant do it Im going to go over there, shovel out the mulch, unplant the bushes and install them in my place.

4. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a plan to me.

5. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

Too much work, just kill the plants.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Why not just take them to small claims court?

7. IN2MOWN

Because I seriously doubt he would show up and getting a judgement on default is way different then actually collecting.

8. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

with a judgment you can get $ from there paycheck

9. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

That varies from state to state, in Texas, garnishment cannot be done. Unless it's taxes or child support.

10. IN2MOWN

I stopped by and talked to him today. He told me to come back Friday @ 3:00 and he would have the money.

We shall see.