Median cleanouts

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PLM-1, Jan 23, 2008.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, I'm not sure if I have this in the correct forum as it doesn't really fit into any of the others.

I have been contacted by a current client to clean out some parking lot medians. They are about a half a city block long and 4.5 feet between the curbs except for one which is about 12"; 7 total. I didn't get a chance to measure the actual length yet. They are set up between the parking rows. The gravel is between two 6" tall asphalt curbs. Basically they want the existing gravel/debris removed and weed barrier with new base gravel installed.

How would you go about removing what's there? I'm afraid to break the curb as it is just asphalt and not in good condition. I was thinking about just using the SS to drag it back and over the curb just working my way down. Also, since I don't do much with gravel, how do I go about getting the quantity correct since it is delivered in tons?

am2 (Medium).jpg

am3 (Medium).jpg

am4 (Medium).jpg

am5 (Medium).jpg

AM1 (Medium).jpg

2. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

How about renting a mini excavator to remove the gravel, looks like you may be able to get it right up in there. As far as the quantity goes, most suppliers will convert the cubic yardage to tons for you when you tell them what material you will be ordering.

3. PLM-1

I thought about a mini ex but I think the gravel is only about 6" deep or so with asphalt underneath. I plan on going out with a shovel to find out.

4. PLM-1

I was correct. The gravel is on top of asphalt and between curbs sitting on that. This job kinda scares me.

Any more input!?

5. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

i would have to put down some total vegetation killer like Ortho or something similar wait a week or so and come by and clean it up

6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

you need a bachoe, skid steer and a dump truck.

Take the backhoe and scoop up the gravel. Then dump the gravel into the bucket of the skid steer. The dump the skid steer in the dump truck.

7. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i would get a small skid loader or stand on unit...just be careful when crossing the curb because my guess would be that it is just sitting on the blacktop and if you nudge it, it will break

8. "Ground Control"

"Ground Control" LawnSite Member

I agree with Dirt Digger, I would get a small skidsteer (one that has a small enough bucket so you can go lengthwise down the median). I dont know for sure but you might be able to find a bobcat with a bucket like 4feet wide. If not you'll have to rent a dingo, boxer, or similiar..... I know our local rental place has an older model bobcat that would work. Like a 420? or something like that, they are really small...they use them a lot to clean out coralls. As for the 12" median...get out the shovel...:weightlifter:
    Hope this helps.

9. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

why bother the parking lot looks like crud also

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly....at most take a weedeater and trim that stuff all down, blow it off. Put down a liquid Pre-m and when spring comes hit it with terminator Round-up with guick kill and it will be done.