1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

medical problems getting in the way

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowerboy04, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Mowerboy04

Mowerboy04 LawnSite Bronze Member

well i was out cutting today when all of the sudden i got relly short of breath and had a hard time breathing. my medical condition is that i only have one lung and have some other heart and lung problems. it seems i only have a problem when i'm useing the walkbehind or trimming or edging and stuff like that. but what i was wondering was do any of u guys have medical problems that get in the way of your work and how do u cope with it.
    don't mind the spelling
  2. Mowerboy04

o yea by the way. the way i fixed my problem was i hired a friend of myn to do all my trimming edging blowing and that stuff
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Not trying to come across as being uncaring, but are you sure this is the type of work you should be doing? What do your doctors say about it?
    Over the long haul, this type of work may be too taxing for your health.
    Maybe look into riding instead of walking, that should take away some of the physical exertion. good luck.
  4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Damn...you need to be in the office & doing the estimates not in the field with one lung my friend
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have diabetes, which is a real challenge for me at times in this business. All I can do is the best I can do. I try to keep my personal health ahead of all else. But sometimes it is easy to forget. Other times it's very hard to cope with the fact I just can't handle what I once could.
  6. Mowerboy04

my doc's say its good for me and it should build up my lungs they jsut say if i start to get short of breath to take an easy. and since i have hired my helper 2 weeks ago i have been sticking with the ztr and he dose all the trim work
  7. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

It's good that you are able to overcome your health problems and succeed in your business at such a young age. Keep up the good work and you can fulfill your dreams.
  8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have to tell you guys about a local guy. He has a helper and a ZTR. The guy uses crutches to walk. He sits on the Z and the helper does all the other stuff.
    He's a real inspiration.
  9. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

it sounds like your problem is with emissions from 2cyl. equipment. they have 4cyl trimmers and wheeled 4cyl blowers if the helper deal falls through. Ingenuity and perseverance will overcome many obstacles.
  10. C&KLawnCare

C&KLawnCare LawnSite Member

Anxiety attacks are no where near fun, i go thru bouts of them and whene your out their mowing oh boy it can get scary at times but . i have learned you got to keep your mind off what your body is doing at the moment and try to cope thru. i would not wish anxiety/panic attacks on my worst enemy .

here is some of the symptoms ,

More Common Symptoms of panic attacks

Rapid heart beat, pounding heart or palpitations
    Shaking visibly or inside
    Choking sensations or lump in throat
    Smothering or shortness of breath sensations
    Chest pain or discomfort
    Nausea, bloating, indigestion or abdominal discomfort
    Dizziness or unsteadiness
    Feeling light-headed
    Derealisation (feeling unreal or dreamy)
    Depersonalisation (feeling outside yourself or like you don't exist)
    Fear of losing control or going crazy
    Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations) in face, extremities or body
    Chills or hot flushes
    Skin losing colour
    Blushing or skin blotches
    Urgently needing to urinate or defecate

try having about 4-5 of them going at once ughhhhhhhh . makes life fun at times