1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Medical Savings Plan

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by billyebrown, Aug 5, 2004.

1. billyebrown

billyebrown LawnSite Member

I have looked into Medical Savings Plan for myself, wife and one child. Rate was less than $300 for all that I got quotes from (Humana, Anthem, Fortris I believe). This was with deductable of between $2500-$5000 then 100% coverage thereafter. Details varied plan to plan...

Fortunately I am still employed part-time and have insurance through them. However I would seriously consider MSA if I ever go out on my own. It is not the first $2500-$5000 that scares me so much as it is the next $200k!

It wouldn't take long to save up $5k if you are saving $600 a month in premium plus it is tax deductible as well.
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Signed up for one with Fortis over the winter. My previous insurance jumped to over $350 for 2 of us. The Fortis savings plan is $154 for 2 of us. Although I haven't put any money into the savings plan yet. Since I am fairly young (33), and healthy (sometimes I feel 20 years older) I rarely used the insurance. So I felt like I was wasting a lot of money. Now IF I get injured seriously, I pay a max of $3000 and the rest is taken care of.

There was another thread about this a few monts ago. I'll try to find it again.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -