1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Medium Size Mower ~30 Inches

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ealbertson, Jan 4, 2003.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a self propelled walk behind somewhere around thirty inches or bigger. I have a 21" Lawnboy and a 36" eXmark that I would like to replace with this. The eXmark is much more mower than is needed (I use these only for fenced back yards.) and the Lawnboy isn't quite enough. Weight and ease of use is VERY important. I have a fifteen year old daughter that may use it. In this case it would be used for more than just fenced yards.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

About two years ago, I did a lot of research looking for a good commercial duty 30" mower. I did not find anything that I thought was worth a darn at that time. I finally bought a 32" Toro walkbehind. It has been a real good machine.:)
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Send pic of daughter and I can help ya....
    LOL j/k
    uh lets see...... There's the Troy Bilt 33" ? Sutech Stealth 33"? I think the Stealth is 33". Both are not near as heavy duty as a 32" model from any of the commercial mfg's such as Toro, Exmark, Husqvarana, Yazoo Kees, Scag, etc etc. Toro does offer a 32" single blade walk behind that has the same deck and blade as a rear engine rider Toro I have, I guarantee you'll love the cut of that baby if you get it.. However I think it will have more blowout problems in leaves than a regular deck maybe.... I could be wrong about that. That single blade deck won't take much to convert to mulching, although I'm not sure about bagging options for it..
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Go look at a 32" hydro eXmark. Since your daughter will be using it, it will be very manuverable due to hydro.
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been thinking about posting a ?? like this also. Only I've been thinking about the smaller 24-26" mowers. I have in front of me infor on KEE mowers by Trailmate http://www.trailmate.com/
    and Johnsom Big Wheel mowers by MacKissic

They both look like a good alternative to the old 21"
    but not as big, heavy, and expensive as a 32"-33" gearor haydro drive. The Kee even have some models with castor type front wheels. I don't know if there would be any way to put a bagger on them or how well one might handle.
    I think Encore also offers something like this but it might be one of these mowers with there name on it.

They both look alot better than the Snapper 26" I say a couple years ago.

They even have 9 or 11 hp on the largest ones. They weigh less than 200 lbs.

My brother has an old 24" Mowz-All that I might try to test the concept.

Has anyone ever used one of these mowers?? Commercialy??

Also what is the Toro 30" like?? Is it the same drive unit as a 32" or 36" but with a smaller deck or is a different animal altogether??

Just some random thoughts I had on the subject.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I would stay away from Sutech and Troy-Built. They claim commercial but nothing will stand up to the likes of Exmark, Scag, Toro, etc... Get a 32" Exmark. You won't regret it. The reliability on an Exmark will be lightyears ahead of the likes of the other two. Ever seen Sutech's mulching blades? I saw a picture of them on the back of a Turf mag. How do you sharpen those things?! :confused:
  7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I say 32" exmark, but I think you'll be more happy with the 36" you have now. Is it the metro or the matro HP?
  8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I have the Troy Bilt that was mentioned above, the 33" wide cut they call it. The thing is a tank. I use it almost daily and it starts first pull everytime. It gives a nice cut, handles long grass with no problem, and mulches great. They are fairly inexpensive, I paid around $1000 for mine brand new. White has the identical mower if you can't find the Troy Bilt. If you take care of it there is no reason it won't be a good mower for you especially for the price.
  9. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a 10 year old Johnson Big Wheel 24" cut that is indestructable, this mower will hack down 8 " grass in a heartbeat, or provide a nice cut on routine services, the blade has a 18' cutting edge, which seems to mulch up the clippings very well. Since I have an old Johnson, I can not attest to the quality of the Maskissic's big wheels.
  10. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I love my Toro 32. For a younger person, I bet the T-bar would be the easiest to learn and control. I've got Jungle Wheels on mine and it almost flies. Really nice cut too...