Lawn Care Forum banner

Meet my new (to me) CX160

4K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  coopers 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I went to Great Falls last weekend and spent half a day on it. I then sent the Case dealer over to test pressures and look over the ECM to see if it has set off any codes. They looked at the VIN and said that its currently running to spec and historically has been a very good machine (nothing has been done to it that CASE was aware of).

There is a little wear in the main bucket pin. Other than that, I could find nothing wrong with it in the time I spent on it. Even the lights worked. It needs a new decal on the tail but its been well taken care of I think. I could see that all the filters including final drives have been written on with marker indicating hours at which they were changed.

Excavators were a dime a dozen at the start of the downturn, market has dried up considerably at least out here. It has taken a long time to find a machine with an acceptable amount of hours in good shape. I got the machine for about 4.5K under listed price.

#10 ·
Nice! Ours just hit 4000 the other day when I was building a boulder wall (of course) and I thought of you if you had gotten one yet.

You check the valve cover gaskets if they were replaced/leaking oil? CX160's are known for that and that's about the only problem we've had with ours in the last 3000 hours.

#17 ·
Sweet machine! What's this short stick business all about? :rolleyes:

Hopefully the mailbox flag hydraulic lockout won't crap out on you since it's made of plastic. :laugh:
Yea I will miss the long stick off my 9020B. But when you buy used, you get what you can find.

Too funny you mentioned that, I thought of you when I first sat in the machine and saw a crack in the cheap plastic safety flag. There you go, they do break.

#18 ·
Good to know. Did you guys buy yours back or are you renting it back?
We bought it back and bought a less expensive grapple as a spare for it as well if the Towtem goes down. It really helps not having to mobilize the Doosan right away and when we get really busy I can just jump around and the other machine is busy later that day doing other things. I know you are very detailed about your equipment and with me and doing rock walls and digging with the cylinders I always keep the hydraulic fluid clean and change it out. Something I would think about being at 4000 hrs. What you paid for that machine is about what we paid to get ours back for.

If your AC ever stops working there is a sensor that goes to the ac compressor and the connector seems to go goofy and gets loose and the pins lose contact even though its connected correctly I replaced the connector once and just put a zip tie to keep it together when it happened again.

Funny about the safety flag, mines broken and its happened a couple times.

#20 ·
We bought it back and bought a less expensive grapple as a spare for it as well if the Towtem goes down. It really helps not having to mobilize the Doosan right away and when we get really busy I can just jump around and the other machine is busy later that day doing other things. I know you are very detailed about your equipment and with me and doing rock walls and digging with the cylinders I always keep the hydraulic fluid clean and change it out. Something I would think about being at 4000 hrs. What you paid for that machine is about what we paid to get ours back for.

If your AC ever stops working there is a sensor that goes to the ac compressor and the connector seems to go goofy and gets loose and the pins lose contact even though its connected correctly I replaced the connector once and just put a zip tie to keep it together when it happened again.

Funny about the safety flag, mines broken and its happened a couple times.
The AC was not that cold, I told them to charge it before the deal is done. Maybe its the ac connector, thanks for the information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.