1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Meeting Other LCO's

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Desoto_Lawn_Care, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Desoto_Lawn_Care

Desoto_Lawn_Care LawnSite Member
    from FL

Today while I was on the job, I ran across another LCO who was cutting across the street. Instead of giving him a dirty look I went over and introduced myself. We ended up talking for a little while and we shared a few laughs and mowing stories. He told me this is his first year in the business and he does it part time, just like me. So I told him "we gotta look out for each other" and we exchanged cards and shook hands. What about the rest of you? Do you look the other way or do you make friends with them? Has anybody ever gotten into an argument with another LCO??

2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

theres a couple that i talk to. my neighbor is solo and pretty much works nonstop so once in a while he'll have me help him out if he gets behind. i also give him work that i cant do like aerating and such. i tend to wave to other companys and get the same back or dirty looks once in a while

3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the LCO'S here are friendly,a wave high how ya doin,what's up kinda thing . Never got a dirty look thou.

4. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

i always wave to other lco's and even the brickman guys (their pretty nice actually) Sometimes i'll get a dirty look but mostly i will get a nice wave or head nod back.:waving:

5. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I never get dirty looks...the problem is...most of em dont habla ingles.

6. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i go out of my way to say hey or wave if they cut near me. and it helped out the other day....other guy was cutting the house right next to where i was cutting. he was working with another guy, so they were finished before i was. well to make a long story short, i'm trimming my client's backyard and it starts raining. i'm thinking "crap, it's gonna be hell to blow now," so i haul ass and finish the backyard. i come out to the front and the guy had blown up my yard for me before it started pouring. moral of the story: a lot of times it's worth it to just wave to another lco, never know when karma will help you out.

7. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Everybody waves and has a chat at the tip/mower shop/on the street in fact most of my work comes from other LCO's in summer, if they get to busy they pass on my number to folks.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've made many friends, and no enemies, over the years. Not sure why anybody would give dirty looks...I don't normally see this behavior amongst doctors, lawyers, or any other type of professional.

I DO watch out for those Aussie guys, they are very sneaky :laugh:

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

i make friends with them, a solo guy in my neighbor hood always passes business on to me, i do the same if i get in over head.

10. jasdebcr

jasdebcr LawnSite Member

for the most part the othe LCO's are nice and easy to get along with but i have gotten the finger twice this year. they must have done a bad job and i got the job HAHAHAHA