1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Meeting with Ad Sales today

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by SSmith, Dec 2, 2004.

1. SSmith

SSmith Banned

I'm meeting with the ad sales team for the Cincinnati Enquirer today at 11 am and am wondering what kind of questions I should ask these folks. How effective has newspaper advertising been for your company? They seem to offer a wide array of products and I'm pretty excited to see what they have to offer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Our company is gonna offer just about every lawn service you can think of.....Mowing,Landscaping (mulch,flowers,trees, hardscapes), Decks, Fences, cleanup.......
  2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Your going to get a mixed return. Here's mine, if you buy into it. Big, Better, Best. Best is always better. Newspaper sales people are the same as and probably "The same people" that sell Yellow Page Ads. The most important thing is, does the paper cover the area where you want to work? APROVE ALL COPY, before it's published. Check all your ads in each publication each time and don't pay for any that are wrong because of copy, day of week, or place or size. Check each billing and only pay for what you actually ordered. You need to manage it, and follow up. Don't think you can just order it and forget about it. Short term orders so if you don't get results you can get out. Track results by number of and size of ( $ ) new customers to justify continuing. Sometimes small papers in a local area with your target is good too.
  3. grassman2001

grassman2001 LawnSite Member

The Enquirer covers a very large area, so I hope you are prepared to so some traveling
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

smith, the one thing i would caution you on is your target market in relation to the broad spread that is the enquirer. you're going to pay a significant amount for a publication with the reach that they have (in fact, if you don't mind, pm me after with their numbers). to selectively target areas, you might be better served with flyer or mailing distributions. also, check with your local publishing company that does the local suburban papers. i can't recall if "brown publishing co." does cincy area (or anything south of springboro), but they do 10 or so papers for the dayton suburbs which allows me to pick and choose my markets, as well as flyer inserts.

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

oh, and watch out. they, like the yellow page salespeople, are very good at giving you the hard sell.
  6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Also watch out for them pushing the numbers game. They're going to want to show you how effective their publication is and will compare it to the Yellow pages, News Papers, etc... I was reading in a small business publication about effective advertizing and found that for small businesses flyers are still the most effective/cost. Another one that was brought to my attention by another LCO in this area is the ShopWise flyers. I really haven't looked into ways of contacting them, but from what I was told they will deliver flyers to 3 zip codes (of your choice) for as little as $350. The cool part is that you supply 1 flyer (template) and they make the copies.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, I always ignore them when they discuss the numbers game. I basically just tell them, what do you have for me because I have 4 others on the side that are giving me options and rates as well.
  8. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

I would be very cautious with newspaper advertising. Last summer I spend a total of $1,000 (including printer costs) to print out 10,000 flyers and have them inserted. Long story short they distributed two flyers in each paper, thus cutting my total circulation down to 5,000. They also put the flyers in the wrong zip code. It was a total nightmare!!

After haggling with the manager of the newspaper on the phone for hours, I could only get him to agree to give me a three hundred dollar credit. I used that to place a bold ad in the classified section that ran for three consecutive weekends.

How many new yards did I get from this huge ordeal? Two.
  9. pema

pema LawnSite Member

The Enquirer will to "Regional" print so you can target specific areas around Cincinnati. I assume you'll be in Butler County, so you can focus your ad costs in this area.

You most likely have aready found out that Advertising Sales People are interested in getting the Highest volumn in sales dollars as Possible. This is how they get paid. So when they hit you with the "Big" proposal with repeated ad runs etc, etc, remember just who it is they are looking after.....(themselves).

Good Luck!
  10. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

How did you make out today?

Did the rates blow your boots off?