Meg-mo blade system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by worthbrown, Feb 17, 2003.

1. worthbrown

worthbrown LawnSite Member

Just wondering if anyone lately has tried these blades. I have done a search, but most info was older. I was considering them for a Lesco ZTR, but the main reason was for a 22' progressive finish mower. Some of you posted that not much savings over double blades, but blades for my 22 footer are about $30 each times 9 blades. After the initial setup, it would be a savings to replace blades. Most of the old posts I read said cost was too much over doubles, but doubles are not an option for my progressive. If anyone has tried them or knows more about them, I would appreciate any info. BTW, the web site is www.meg-mo.com

2. Greens Keeper

Greens Keeper LawnSite Member

I have used a set on a John Deere 430 lawn and garden tractor with a 60 inch deck. I feel that with a standard set of single blades it has plenty of power (20 hp) With the megmo blades they gave a very nice cut but pulled the tractor very hard. They really threw the grass out the side but really used up the horsepower to turn them fast enough. Also they have a high inertia start up whitch is hard on electric clutches. Just have plenty of power in what you're pulling them with. LOL

3. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

hey worthbrown, did you happen to e-mail meg-mo?? If you did, did they return your e-mail?? I have been trying to get some info about meg-mo too. I am about to give up on them.

4. worthbrown

I did not e-mail them, I saw them at the Louisville Farm Machinery Show. It seemed to work well, but it seems like nobody is using them. If you have e-mailed recently, he was at the show in Louisville, and may have even gotten snowed in here.

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked at them, then looked again, and then decided not to go with them.

Way too much money for what they offer. Way too many parts to have to replace. What happens when they quit making them because no one is buying them?

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I used them on an older hustler shortcut w/ 54"deck and 25 horse kohler. it had a manual clutch, but they use the horsepower. in tall grass they would not cut , and they don't side discharge well. they supposedly don't need sharpening as often, I did not use them enough to find out. I went back to regular blades after a day or two.

Daveg

7. Thanks for the info Dave.

8. worthbrown

As far as parts, the blades seem very similiar to what would be on a farm type disc mower. I don't have specs on the meg-mo blades, or the disc you have to buy, but it shouldn't be hard to have either one made, if they are not already made by someone else in a similiar fashion.

9. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

Meg-mo call me today and you were right. He was at a show. Seems like a likable fellow. I might try a set and see how they work. You are right about the price, seems a little hi. Always willing to try something new tho if it looks like it might work.