meg-mo system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by doyles, Aug 22, 2011.

1. doyles

doyles LawnSite Member

hi i was whoundering if any one is using meg-mo blades on a 72" zero turn rider
    or a 52 or 60" walk behind
    are they really worth the money
    are they better than the regular blades
    how good is the lift on them
    thank for your input
  2. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

Do a search on them. I tried them out about 10 years ago. I posted what I thought of them at the time. My opinion hasn't changed.

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I often wondered about the Meg-Mo blades too. I did some research and talked about them on another forum for a while. I haven't heard or read anything about their use anymore.
    No use in digging up dead dogs........I guess!!!
  4. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

This subject comes up about once a month. Never many comments about them any more
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. DaveWB

DaveWB LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE WI

I have them, I will be giving an indepth review at the end of the season on them. So far for the price I would not suggest them. Although the idea is good, you have to take into consideration the sharpening, the only way to sharpen them is with your bench grinder, not magna-matics because of the disc, also balancing the blades, thats my biggest problem. You have to weigh the blades individually. The disc is also out of balance because the blades kick back on the disc and tore one of my discs, yea the 1/4" metal disc or whatever it is tore. I think they are more of a pain then they are worth. Sure you don't have to sharpen as often. Sure, it chops it up finer but if I would like to see a comparison with these and + blade setup, but if your cutting thick grass, your probably going to have to double cut anyways. If I got them for free or the price of normal blades I would take them anyday but at the $240 price tag for I regret buying them. Also he says he has a 30-day gurantee if you don't like them you get your money back... thats a lie.. you dont get your shipping and have to pay a 20% restocking fee. I'll see in fall how good they chop up the leaves.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Just buy another set of blades, install them (now 2 sets) and cross them. You can mix and match high lift with low lift, or two high lift (more or less vacuum), or one set bent and one set straight (for an inline cut), or regular and gators, or double gators for leaf mulching.
    If you're a professional this all part of cuttin' grass.
  7. mallio

mallio LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Used to see a lot of them 10years ago. LCO were using them on city lots that were overgrown with a lot of junk on them. They are a pain to sharpen and have to be sharp to reallywork. I have a lot of LCO that weld blades in cross pattern or use a adapter that does the same thing, If the blades aren't sharp they won't cut dandialions.
  8. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

For three blades on a typical ZTR you're in the $500 range for one set. Reason enough right there to pass.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

On a 60" mower the Meg Mo will cost $209.85 and will out wear 3 to 5 sets of what yous are using now so not any more money. The balance is not a problem as centrifugal force keep them balance when spinning.
  10. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT LawnSite Senior Member

I have a set....and they work, but as mentioned they are a pain to sharpen with the magnamatic. We use our Z so little now that we havent used the MMS in over a year, but they do work. Sharpening is the achilles heel and they do need to be just as sharp as a regular blade.