Meg-mo users, is it as advertised?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cutting-edge, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Cutting-edge

Cutting-edge LawnSite Member

Just wondering if any of you are using Meg-mo and what are your opinions? Are they as good as advertised? How often do you sharpen? How is quality of cut and discharge/bogging in high grass? THANKS!
  2. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

They work as promised, except for the scraping of the deck claim, if anything in wet grass my deck was packed even fuller with meg-mos vs doubles. The discharge distance is amazing, striping is improved, and they destroy leaves I run them on a Deere HD 75 with 17hp. Real tall grass they do bog down some, but not anymore than normal blades. Performance is slightly better than doubles in my experience.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I dont leave the trailer with out them.
  4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

They are garbage. At least they were for me on my 48" ExMark TT with 17 HP Kaw.
  5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

As eshreve says...Ditto! They work great and all I use now, but they do pack the deck in wet grass conditions.
  6. mole

mole LawnSite Member

there awesome. can see a big diference in them compared to my other blades
  7. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

is a 15HP on a 48" Gear Drive WB Bobcat enough power, or should i just stick with gator blades? The mower is most often in 5th gear, so we're cruising when we do the lawns, does that make a difference?
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Yes it makes a difference. If you are marginal on power then you will be under impressed with meg-mo's. Otherwise they do quite well.

My biggest issue is sharpening them. It is a bit annoying because they are much more difficult to clamp in the vice.
  9. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I run meg-mo's on a Gravely 34Z, the deck gets packed in thick wet grass, other than that they do great and there is no loss of power. Sharpening them is no problem using a blade grinder. I will get couple of more sets for my other mower's.
  10. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

I tried them on a Walker during the spring and came to the same conclusion regarding a packed deck (I was having the same problem with factory blades too). I switched back to the stock units and started using Mo-deck and am quite pleased with the results. Now that it's getting drier, maybe using the two products together will be the ticket.