Meg-Mo VS Doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie03, Jul 31, 2005.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Which ones weigh more? I'm considering running doubles, but I don't want to ruin the spindles w/ the added weight of another blade. Are the meg-mo's a lot lighter than 2 blades?

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, assuming you are not talking about something like a toro 21". Ihave never put them on a scale but I would guess that my meg-mo's for my PM 260 are 50% lighter than doubles.

3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Do a search for my comments on Meg-mos. I FAR PREFER double blades, works infinitely better on my Exmark 17HP TT.

4. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member

How well did the Meg-Mo's work on your Exmark TT Naturescape?

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

sir--can you explain how the difference in the weight of one blade versus two is going to ruin a spindle?

GEO

6. naturescape

Absolutely HORRIBLY!! I ran them for about 3 hours. Had to spend an hour cleaning out the deck.

Ran doubles again, wow what a difference! Cheaper and easier too!

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer my Megmos to double any day.

8. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

65hoss how many hours are you mowing with those meg-mo's?

geogunn if you have more added weight to one spindle it will have a much heavier load on the spindle and it will take more hp to turn that spindle.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Doubles work great in very tall turf and for speed in the tall turf. The meg's work great on leaves and grass. they (the megs) have almost no blow out(like the doubles) and send the grass farther then Doubles. you will find that the megs are better all around then Doubles.

You will need both for mowing. there are different conditions that warrant different blades.

John

10. naturescape

I've found on my Exmark, adding skirting at the front of the deck during fall totally eliminates any blowout. I also use a low lift blade on the bottom during fall.

I'd much rather do this -- cheaper, and better results. If you come to a lawn in fall that just needs cutting -- NO PROBLEM!