Meg-Mo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Aug 26, 2002.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody ever used meg-mo blades? From the way the rep. sounded at the expo, they beat doubles all to peices and are quiet to boot.:) :eek: :)

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

They are pretty recent, and I don't know of ANYONE who has them or has demo'ed them or has seen them being used. The system itself is expensive but the blades seem pretty reasonable once you get the adapters. I'd like to know if they cut as nicely (swinging blade tips seem like they might have alittle up and down slop???). I'd also like to know if they wear the spindle bearings faster.

I'd like to hear more about the Meg Mo system. I think their website is something like www.megmo.com or www.meg-mo.com or something.
    Eric

3. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Roy Megli (the guy who invented Meg-Mo blades is one of my competitors. The Meg-Mo system is not "recent" they have been around for several years. I think the cut you get from them is good but I don't know how they compare to doubles( I've never used doubles). They seem like they do a pretty good job of mulching. I have never seen any clippings laying on top of the grass on any of his accounts. I think Roy Megli still has a demo video for sale on his website. If its the one I saw it does a pretty good job showing the blades in use. I've heard from my dealer that Meg-Mo works better on some mowers than others.

Mike

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Did Get a Set For My Gravely Pro 150 50. They Clumped In Grass They Mulched Leaves Very well. That was about 6 Years ago.

I Put a set On a 251K And with Some Mods It Mowed like a Lazer.

Roy told me That For them To Work On a Lazer You Would have To take Out The Baffling.

On some mowers It;s great And others not so great.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've talked with Roy a couple of years ago about his product. Some of my issues were....

How can you sharpen those little tiny blades?

ROY: "You take the whole disk off, and sharpen them on the disk, just fold them back."

Bolts get in the way, hit the sharpener table and raise, making it almost impossible to use a dedicated blade sharpener.

.....On to my next question.....

How do you achieve enough lift. The lift foils are real small?

ROY: "There's 4 blades, and therefore double the lift. We don't need more lift."

Sounds like a ONE-BLADE-FITS-ALL attitude. All machines are different. All machines require different lift. He's just using the cookie cutter approach.

Then there's the VERY high PRICE. For most 60" ZTR's, your talking close to $200 to use it on ONE mower! Thats equal to 7 (SEVEN) sets (21 blades!) of REGULAR blades!

Plus, If you check out his reply page....

Mowers mentioned...

Craftsman
    Snapper
    Yardman
    JD STX-38
    Wheelhorse
    JD 175

You know......ALL the COMMERCIAL type mowers!

One Walker and One Dixon are as close to commercial mower types as they get.

And if they're soooooo great, why doesn't EVERY mower out there come with disk type blades?

Not Product bashing, just voicing MY HUMBLE OPINION about a product.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

This really is not a new idea. One of my customers has a Jacobsen self-propelled 22" that has a circular concave/convex disc with four triangular blades mounted on it. This mower was made in the late 70's or early 80's...or so he said. Each triangle blade is separately bolted to the disc and are rigid when mounted.