meg-mo's and leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Gamba, Oct 18, 2006.

1. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

i dont think i could do leaves with out my meg-mos. if you go over the leaves backwards then bag them with the megs, you get allot more in the hopper or you just grind them up to powder. i have also found they pick up wet leaves too:waving:

2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I use the continually except in early spring. I bought a second set so I can change out faster and always have another set sharp and ready to go. Especially in leaves and fall. One pass turns everything to the size of a dime or smaller.

3. John Gamba

from ct

EXACTLY:waving: :cool2:

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep...just like doubles.....:)

5. John Gamba

from ct

Not really, let me explain. The ultra high lift of the meg's keeps the air under the deck(deeper deck is better) so you get allot less blowout then with doubles.
    Also you can suck up wet leaves better then doubles.

I found doubles better for the first cut in very tall thick grass and meg-mo better for the second cut to clean it up better(no need for a third cut):) .

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Now that makes sense...:)

7. John Gamba

from ct

To us:) :hammerhead:

8. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have been using my Meg-mo's since early august. I have been very happy with the striping and cut. I will probably use them alot earlier next year. I did 8 leaf clean ups today with them..... I had forgotten how well they shred when you back over the leaves.....

I do still have to scrape the deck regularly though....

I think I will buy a second set in the spring......

Derek

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's the thing about backing over leaves. It just grinds the stuf up so much more. That's the beauty of running a Z...You can move leaves so fast and thourough just by going forward and backward over them. There are times when the Z will move leaves faster that the push blowers will, because it moves them so much more thoroughly,..getting every last leaf. Many of times, we will partially close the ocdc and back over the rows just FOR that purpose...to grind the material into dust so we can transport so much more.

10. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

I'm glad (seriously!) that the Meg-mo's are working for you guys. They didn't work for me. I'm not trying to start an arguement. They just didn't work for my equipment. Single factory blades just work better. TonyR put me on to a double blade combo of Raptors and high lifts that will suck your ID card out of your wallet, but I don't use this combo often. In fact I haven't used it this year. The science seems to be good on the Meg-Mo's and they sure looked like they should work, but in high grass the knives just lay back against the wheel resulting in a nice line of uncut grass, again just my experience. I wish they DID work for me. The guys that can use them really seem to love them! Doesn't Dixie Chopper now offer a blade that is somehow off set or bent for running doubles - so that all of the blades are on the same plane?