meg mo's on a stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leafitalawn, Jun 9, 2005.

1. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

I have a 32" stander with a mulch kit (it consists of individual baffles that isolate each blade, and regular high lift blades)...and it isn't performing that great (having to double cut). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried the meg mo's with a wright stander. I was considering taking off my mulch kit and adding the meg mo's and some sort of ocdc.

2. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I would be interested to know what you don't like about the Wright Mulch kit. I am considering one of these Standers and I mulch all the time.

3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I run the 36" stander so take this for what it is worth.

I had the baffle in the middle and found that it mulched better with the baffle off. The discharge plate is fine.

Actually, I found that discharging worked the best. Use double blades if you need it chopped up a little better.

4. leafitalawn

Actually, there isn't a discharge plate for the 32" stander mulch kit, it is all one large piece.

I have never used doubles, and didn't know if the 15HP could really handle it. The engine is often bogging down as it is with the mulch kit on. I just figured that with an ocdc I could just open the chute when going through the thick stuff.

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

You can't mulch with regular high lifts. You need gators or some type of a wavy mulch blade. I would run double gator. Makes a world of difference.

6. grillonz

grillonz LawnSite Member

I have just purchased a 36" stander & have so far clocked up 11 hrs on it but here is my opinion.
    I run double stacked blades & have been getting a finish the same as catching with only a block off plate though in some places needed a double pass. The curved baffles just arrived today & I tryed them out on my lawn which was long & wet & they went real well.
    I must say many thanks for all the feedback on lawnsite both good & bad about the standers. It has meant that I had a good idea of the machine before I bought. Since it is new to NZ feedback over here is non existant at this stage. As far as I know there are about 6 running in the country at this time.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Like Wil said, you need a mulching blade. We use the Raptor blades with great results. I recently tried the MM blades on one of our 48" Standers, and wasn't thrilled with the results. I think they drew too much HP from the engine. The ACS works great, though. I know a few other guys who have tried the MM blades on Wrights and have had similar results as we did. Get an ACS OCDC, and try a gator magnum or raptor blade, and see what happens. The Wright block off plate works well, but with a controlled OCDC, you will really improve efficiency by being able to mulch, discharge, or bag in seconds all without changing any hardware.

8. leafitalawn

Thanks all for your replies. My dealer told me that the only blades that would fit the 32" stander were blades by Wright.?. Anyway, I found it hard to believe that the only blades for the mower were highlifts manufactured by Wright. I think that I'm going to try a single raptor or gator with an ocdc. The mulch kit I will reserve just for the beginning and end of the season when there are many leaves to deal with.

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

leafit, Now that you've had some time with it, does it do everything that you thought it should? What's your overall summation of it?

10. leafitalawn

It's great, just too much growth right now for the mulch kit to handle with only 15HP. I'm having to double cut about a quarter of the properties that I cut. I'm taking the mulch kit off this weekend, and will hopefully get an ACS for it (if there is one available for the 32"). I'm positive that this will solve my problems.