Meg-Mo's...The Good..The Bad...The Ugly

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The Good

-eXcellent Lift properties...great stripes....great suction for bagging debris, leaves etc..

-Blows Long Dry Turf out like Dust....looks like it was Mulched

-Bending Blades have saved a couple blades already that would have been Destroyed by small rocks & dulled by sticks etc w/regular blades

The Bad...Only Bad Because of Claims Made

-They Don't Eliminate Scraping But there is Not as Much Under Deck Build up as w/standard Doubles

-They do not need to be Sharpened as often but 15hrs would be a maX

The Ugly

-Lush Turf Clumps the same as or worse than doubles

All Testing done on High HP 2 Chamber eXmark Walks.

2. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

They contacted you as well....I ignored the email...

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Contacted? I Never got the e-mail!

megmo.jpg

4. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

they were asking about blade part numbers....

Sure you didn't get an email?

How many did they send you?

Careful they don't fly apart on ya.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for the input Fareway. Two things, I've never hit anything with my blades that in any way would have destroyed them. I've hit bricks and 4 inch rocks and only ended up with a dent that could be easily grinded out. It may be that your stock blades are softer than what I use.
    Second, how the heck do sharpen the blades if you only have a grinder and then how do you balance them, since it sounds like they only last "twice" as long as my blades do???
    Thanks,
    DP

6. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

The Meg-Mow design isn't anything new.

The farming industry have been using the 4 knife on a disk set up for years. My buddy showed me an old farm magazine showing a field/hay cutting mower. It had a disk in the middle with 4 knives attached to it. These disks were in a series, like the 3 blade set up on a wide mower deck.

7. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

You are so right, this is nothing new in the farming industry. The farmers 35 years ago got the disc mower and revolutionized mowing in the farming industry. We in the mowing industry have been using the same blade for the last 70 years. To meet the standards for the lawnmowing blades, the blades have to be soft so that the blades stay under the deck when they hit something.
    With our knives being free swinging, we have our system rockwelled harder and use higher grade steel.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

My 2 cents.
    My machine is a eXmark Turf Tracer HP with a 17hp V-twin Kawasaki, with deck roller, OCDC, and Proslide. I am 170# approx. weight. I mow bluegrass, fescue and rye grass mixtures mostly, with weeds and dandelions mixed in some of the lawns. I mow at 3.5"-4.5" range. Most lawns are 3.5/4"

I honestly can say that I do not have much trouble cutting in wet with my eXmark. Depending on what blades I use, I only have to clean the deck once a day in very wet conditions. I tried Meg Mo blades on it that a friend loaned me to try and mowed wet grass with it. In regular growth they did fine, excellent at chopping and dispersal, cut is ok, and they keep the deck very clean in wet conditions, but the only thing I don’t like about them is if you cut off more than “regular” growth, they will tend to fold back and streak.. I hate that about them. Even if you go slow and keep blade speed up, in tall grass they fold back. I do not like that. But they don’t clump or pack up the deck in wet grass and I’m sure they wouldn’t fold back as bad in dry conditions. I will try them this week and get a better opinion.
    Eric

9. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

eric i agree totally with what you said, in normal growth conditions they seem like they would be great, but in heavy spring growth they leave streaks everywhere. i'm probally going to switch back to my stck blades and bag until the heavy spring growth slows down again:( i think meg-mo should warn all potential customers that unless you have a higher HP machine don't waste your time, these blades need horsepower to run correctly, my 13hp 36" mower is to underpowered for these blades:(

10. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

After reading many stories about these blades I think I will indefinately "pass" on the Meg-Mo product...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.