Meg-Mow blade system

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dan Stoms, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Dan Stoms

Dan Stoms LawnSite Member

I read about using double blades on mowers,sounds like a great idea if you can make it work on your mower.Has anyone tried the Meg-mow blades with four blade tips attached to a disk? Seems like this would be basically the same idea as double blades.Was wondering how they worked,lasted,difficulties,praises, whatever. Thanks for your opions.

2. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

Dan,I purchased these blades for my 72"exmark.
    Although I like the idea of the blades "giving"when they come in contact with an obstacle,the blade tips that they come with are way to light.They actually do not cut thick bahai very good at all.
    In my opinion,save your money.(around $250.00 if I remember right).If you have a 72"and still want to try them e-mail me.

3. Odie

Odie LawnSite Member

I use meg-mow's on my 62" SD walker. I love them, they do an exellent job. Mulches the clippings, without using any mulching deck or attachments,and allows me to mow as FAST as machine will go!! Doesn't matter if grass is heavy or wet! Leaves a quality of cut better than OEM Blades. The main difference from double blades, (correct me if I'm wrong) is that all four blades cut grass at the same level, so all four blades are cutting grass off instead of two cutting and two mulching as with double blades. They also pivot on the disk helpful if you hit something. The set of blades lasted approx. 300 hrs. before putting new ones on.

Anyone have any experience with them on their GHS decks? Probably going to switch mine this season. Local dealer has them on his personal GHS deck.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Odie:

I have a set of blades that have a hump in the middle wide enough to accept the second blade to fit in this area so all 4 tips are the same highth and all 4 tips cut. I find that the clippings do not come out as finely chopped up as when the blades are not all at the same highth. Have you tried using double blades? I just wondered how they compare to the method you use.

5. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Does that mean that your blade tip speed wouldn't need to be as high to have the same cut with two blades cutting the grass? Twice the cut per revolution. Sounds good away. How about Meg-mow blades on bottom and gators on top.

6. Odie

Odie LawnSite Member

Eric:

I haven't tried double blades, and doubt if I ever will since started using Meg-mows. Before going to meg-mow I had problems when going across rocks, stumps, etc., that were embeded in ground but just sicking up high enough to hit the blade. It would bend blade enough to make an un-even cut. Replaced four blades in one season only w/250hrs on machine, one time blade was only a few minutes old. I guess if Walker would'nt make their decks so heavy it wouldn't be a problem? Other cheaper lighter decks would just skip across.

Mike:

I Don't think putting gators on top would work? The actual blade on meg-mows is only about 4'-4 1/2" long, the rest is the flat heavy steel disk app. 3/8-1/2" thick. As far as your comment on blade tip speed you are correct, but why not instead of lower RPMs, just increase ground speed. Have maxed out my walkers speed adjustments, and in certain conditions wish I could get more MPH's output.

7. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

Odie, i agree with the mph. That one of the few things i don't like about my Walker also. What,where, and how much for those meg-blades?

8. Odie

Odie LawnSite Member

Mike,

Here's the link to Meg-mo website, full of information, I called and talked to them before ordering. I just needed some reassurance that the system would work. (didn't know Lawnsite.com existed then) I believe I paid somewhere around $230-$250. Also meg-mo blades take a little bit more horse power (double blades might use more too?)don't notice it that much, I use on the on Walker diesel. The kubota gas has no problems whatsoever, but get better fuel economy with the diesel.

http://www.meg-mo.com/

9. zipp669

zipp669 LawnSite Member

To all:
    i looked @ them forever & finally decided to try them last year, spring 2000.
    that guy is in iowa for like a month to come to all our equipment shows etc.
    well I tried them on a 22/60 & 25/60 lazers.
    they do not work well at all on these type mowers.
    not saying they dont work well on other ones.
    totally eliminate your hp on both mowers, seems like 22 drops to 18hp & 25 to 20hp's.
    your mowing speed really drops & the tip speed is non existent & does not cut threw a taller stand of grass well, you have to go over it 2 times.
    i tried them on both mowers & after putting them on the 25hp had them on for 15 min & took as long to mow 1/2 the lawn as it does to mow the whole thing with reg blades & they dont cut as good.
    I like the idea but they are so heavy, I am not even sure if double blades weigh that much.
    that is my experience & i am not saying they will not work on another mower, just didnt work well on a lazer.
    i do believe they may do well on a walker since they mow like a turtle but make a lawn look great so you may not be able to tell a losss of mowing speed
    thanks