Mega-Mo blades.....opinions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I just checked out Mega-Mo, one of the new sponsors. Has anyone out there tried these blades yet? If so, how'd they do?

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Would like to ditto the question.
    I'm concerned about lift, or lack of it.

3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Same thing I was thinking. I was also wondering if there would be clogging around the "disk." Looks like nobody out there has tried them.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

There are MANY threads on this topic. I have numerous issues with different aspects of this product. In theory it should work better than you could ever imagine, but with every mower deck getting the same blades/lift, it cant be good for all decks.

Then you have the sharpening issue, whick Roy counters with...."You don't need to sharpen then as often because there are 4 to every spindle." A normal blade sharpener CANT sharpen these blades while mounted to the disk (mounting bolt will interfere). And holding that little blade if you unbolt it isn't my idea of a safe sharpening condition. If they were rigid mounted to the disk, computer welded, and balanced, and cost not much more than a standard blade, I'd buy them. The swinging back when you hit an object isn't a big issue with me, and at the blade tip speed I see, they mind as well be solid mounted, cause they aint gonna swing back when I hit a rock!

I think he needs to DONATE a few sets to a few members here on different machines and let us evaluate them. Its just way too much money to "try", and if they don't work well, thats almost a $200.00 to $225.00 dust collector!!

Now he's a sponsor, he needs to step to the plate and allow us to evaluate them.

Right now I can put a brand new set of OEM Excalibur blades on my Lazer.
    Excalibur.....Cost = $33.00

Meg-Mo......Cost = $194.85

I can buy almost 5 more sets of Excaliburs with the money I save. Even if I run double Excalibur blaes, I can buy almost 3 complete sets for the price of one Meg-Mo.

He needs to rethink his pricing structure. If they work as good as his site says, MAYBE I'd pay a hundred bucks for a set for my Lazer, but then I have a blade system that I am unable to keep sharp!?

:rolleyes:

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Tryed Them When It First Came Out On a Pro 150-50. They Clumped The Grass within 10 Feet Of Cutting And The Grass Wasen't wet.
    They Sit Under My tool Box.
    John

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

ttt:mad:

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Thanks for the input guys. Clumping within 10 feet, coming from a pro like John Gamba, says a lot. Yup, the cost is steep too. I'll pass on the blades for now.

8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

we havent clean a deck in 10 years since we put them on our mowers.

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Did you start with brand new machines?

Or newly painted undersides?

Your product is interesting

10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Glan No the mower was 5yr old when I made the MEG-mo .no cleaning no more balanceing no more lumps in yard. Most everything on web you could put a10 in front of quotes