mega-mo system...any good in a drier southern climate? (North TX)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Feb 16, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I ran a search and found only about 10 threads about these, and the last post was over 3 years ago. Was the conclusion reached that these are overpriced and no good, or do they actually work well in, say, a drier climate with southern grasses such as in North TX?

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I tried a set on a 48" walkbehind a few years back. I ran them for a couple of weeks and did not care for them. I sold them about half price to another guy who was wanting to try them, he felt about the same way I did. I will say they worked a little better on StAugastine. Now if I need alittle more umph I just run doubles and then go back to singles.

3. tb8100

from TX

I've never put doubles on a mower. Do you use an adapter or just bolt the second blade up to the first one?

4. Turf Dawg

The gravely I had had a kit that held the two blades [I think dixie has a kit also]. The other mowers I just place one blade on top of the other like a + sign. This works the same way as the kits. I usally use a mulching blade on top and the standard hi lift on bottom. I know there is some on this site that run gators on top and hi lifts on bottom year round.

5. tb8100

from TX

sweet. I'll do some searching on here to see if I can pull up some pictures. Thanks man!

6. tb8100

from TX

man, I would think two high lift blades would create alot of suction, more so than one. And with a gator on top, it would definitely chop it up really well.

Our Bad Boy mowers have alot of hp, so running two blades wouldn't place too much drag on the engines at all.

Are you discharging, mulching, or both with this setup?

7. Turf Dawg

Side dis. only. I have a mulch kit for the hopper 223 and a 42 mulch for the walker. These are the only mowers I mulch with.