1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Melter question

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by justinc, Jul 12, 2013.

1. justinc

justinc LawnSite Member

Just bought a used seal-rite 700 trailer unit. Came with the melter attached to the front of the trailer. Guy I bought it from left some crackfill in it. I hooked the torch up to my 20 lb propane bottle and it took forever to heat up. I left it going for probably an hour and a half and it only got up to 200 degrees. The torch didn't have the regulator on it that I see on seal-rites website. Do I need the regulator or am I doing something else wrong? Maybe a larger propane tank?

2. viper881

viper881 LawnSite Member

The regulator adjusts your pressure of how much propane you are using/igniting. I usually keep mine around 10psi and turn it down once i get to the desired temp. If there is only a little rubber in there you have to remember that it heats from the bottom up. If all the rubber is on one side it would take longer then if you had the same amount of rubber already was heated up spreader out inside the melter.

3. justinc

justinc LawnSite Member

Thanks viper. I never got the regulator when I bought the unit. Will any regulator work? Or will I have to buy one from seal-rite?

4. viper881

viper881 LawnSite Member

Any regulator should work. No local supplier around me carries them. I have ordered them online before. Do you have the 30 gallon melter on the seal-rite?

5. justinc

justinc LawnSite Member

I believe it's the 30 gal. What website did u order yours from? Appreciate your help.

6. viper881

viper881 LawnSite Member

My 30 i bought from a supplier close by me along with my 55. Its just the standard ma-30 i believe they call it. Both my 30 and 55 came with the torch and regulator at the time of purchase. The website i believe was amazon. The only reason I have to buy them is i drop it and the glass cracked.

7. viper881

viper881 LawnSite Member

8. justinc

justinc LawnSite Member

Thanks. Haven't really decided yet. Maybe a ma-10, not to melt though, or a bander.

9. viper881

viper881 LawnSite Member

I have both. Both have there good and bad. The ma-10s are heavy to push if you have step driveways to do but the good with them is you don't have to refill near much. I'm selling a ma-10 if you are looking for you. Not sure what shipping would be but way cheaper then new. The good with the banders are they are not as big but you have to refill them more often.

10. jamsealcoating.com

jamsealcoating.com LawnSite Member

PM Me a price and how much to ship to 97013.

Also, I run my 55 gallon at 12psi when warming up then knock it down 10 when I'm at the desired temperature (375-400)