Melting Air Filter ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by YardApeMike, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If your that "picky" you should be checking your filter way before 50hrs......

2. zspeed130

zspeed130 LawnSite Senior Member

Point taken but I do check it. About every 10z more when it's dry and dusty or I'm doing leaves. (Every day). it started fairly quickly and peaked around 50 hrs . It has gotten a bit worse but has kind of peaked out. It does not look as bad as the in in the op's pic. I appreciate your input greatly

3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm.....sounds plausible.....

Sooooo.....would this happen from a single backfire.????
    Or....is it the result of a recurring backfiring problem..???

I didn't see any red clay dust so I'm pretty sure it isn't a result from the airborne dust being blown off the african deserts....

4. zspeed130

zspeed130 LawnSite Senior Member

Mine runs great. Never backfires. Still looks like that.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well Slapper....... I could see it happening in one....... I was play'n with a carb once with both filters out, My inner arm was close to the open end of the air box...... It backfired singeing the hair on my arm and burn'n the crap out of me with no flame......

The backfire we are speaking of is out the intake not out the exhaust, It would be harder to hear inside the air box with two filters......

6. YardApeMike

YardApeMike LawnSite Member

How would you notice a backfire with that air cleaner case? I heard a suggestion that it comes from repeatably turning off the engine while at full throttle. We are now looking at these daily.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Talk about sucking in a lot of dirt through those holes...yeesh.

Obviously, these filters appear VERY damaged.
    Other than visual inspection, are there any tricks to determining if one's air filter has a tear in it?
    UV light or something else way out there?
    I clean my Kaw KAI foam prefilter and gently shake/tap out the core filter and look down the throat of the carb...but a small tear would sure allow a lot of dirt in. The main filters are replaced ~150 hrs...though, I've never replaced the foam prefilter, fwiw.

8. CorkyE

CorkyE LawnSite Member

Don't know the B&S procedure but my Kawasaki manual says to start/stop at 1/3 throttle. Shutting off ignition at full throttle; it will continue to pull fuel/air mixture into the cylinder where a piece of hot carbon or a hot spot can ignite the mixture and if the intake valve is open when mixture ignites, will blow back through carburetor. This may not be a complete burn of fuel in the cylinder but create enough heat to melt that filter media. That looks like some type of nylon, is that right?

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

Nah, Them holes ain't gonna hurt nuttin'. As most know, that filter fits inside the main pleated paper filter.
    I've serviced a chitload of em' that were used commercially on a daily basis by peyote chewin' mexicanos, and none of the inner filters really needed to be replaced.

10. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Them filters plug up perty good once you get south of Georgia....
    High humidity makes the filter media get moist...and the dust makes mud...

The inner filter...when pieces of it ain't missing.... catches the dust that makes it through the outer pleated filter...
    That fine dust ...is what wipes out the piston rings and crosshatches in the cylinders...as well as wiping out you maintenance budget..