Melting Urea in skid sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 06er, Feb 23, 2006.

1. 06er

06er LawnSite Member

I have a 200 gal skid sprayer with jet agitation and am wanting to add 46-0-0 to my late spring herbicide app. for bermuda, I am spraying 4 gals per 1,000. My question is how can I melt the urea in my sprayer? If i pour it directly in its gonna get sucked to and clog my strainer etc. Is there another way I can mix to get it into solution without running it through the entire pumping system?
  2. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

You can mix it in a bucket first and make sure to stir it up real good.
    Also make sure that you have a strainer basket in your skid sprayer. You can buy them depending on the size of hole in the top of the tank.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I mix mine in the spray tank, put in 1 bag at a time and use a plastic canoe paddle and stur the urea as the tank fills. this worked great for me. another thing that would work good is I use a 200 gal storage tank to mix my urea in the day before then use a 5hp w/ a trash pump to pump into my spray tank. it saved a lot of time!
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Simply pour your fert into the strainer basket. A gentle stream of water will dissolve it in no time!
  5. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

If your skid sprayer is the lesco space saver, you can pour the urea into the strainer basket as you are filling. The air gap filler thingy that you connect the garden hose to (don't you love my technical jargon) will dissolve the urea as it flows over it. If you're into using iron I have found that its a good idea to run it through the strainer, too, since it occasionally will solidify. Set the ball valve to bypass the hose reel and have the fluid go through the agitation system.
  6. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

In a recent thread (last 2 months) someone mentioned a manufactured bag specifeically for this problem.

Fill the bag with urea or any soulble product and it hangs down in the water of the tank. Kind of like a strainer basket that hangs down much further into the water.

I could be wrong but I thought the bag was manufactured specifically for the lip of a standard size sprayer.

I may read this in another area of Lawnsite, but it sounded very useful.
  7. indyturf

from Indy

I think that was Clark Gregson spray equipment. it looked like it would work very good.
  8. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have always added my herbs and agitate well. Then pour in urea and leave til next day.

Next day, I do not agitiate til first stop. Lots of sloshing around before then. I leave the gun open for a while in the tank as well.
  9. indyturf

from Indy

that would probably work in Texas, but in the early spring in Indiana the urea doesn't melt very well in the cold water. I always stirred it up manually just in-case.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Try my method above. I use 40 degree water in the spring and I've never had a issue with it not dissolving. And I never stir or agitate it.